Postdoctoral Fellows Program
Three annual postdoctoral fellowship programs that support outstanding scientists offer a unique opportunity for selected scholars to engage in a three-year fellowship of interdisciplinary research at the Beckman Institute.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Beckman Institute! The application period for the 2023 Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program has ended, and applications for the 2024 program will be made available in the fall of 2023.
Three annual postdoctoral fellowship programs that support outstanding scientists at the Beckman Institute offer a unique opportunity for selected scholars to engage in a three-year fellowship of interdisciplinary research at the Beckman Institute.
The Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program recruits four to six outstanding scientists annually to work at the Beckman Institute. The program was established in 1991 by the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation.
The Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows Program selects one outstanding researcher annually. The program was initiated in the fall of 2015, when the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation provided an endowment in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Arnold Beckman and the founding director of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, Dr. Theodore “Ted” Brown.
The Cancer Center at Illinois – Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program supports up to two fellows who would like to pursue projects bridging basic cancer sciences and engineering. Fellows work with faculty mentors from CCIL and Beckman Institute to develop trans-disciplinary skills that support their career development.
Fellows are selected in accordance with the core values of the Beckman Institute: Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity, Transdisciplinarity, Exploration, and Diversity.
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent within the last 10 years.
- Relevance of the proposed research plan to the portfolio of the Beckman Institute.
- Application package includes four letters of reference:
- Two letters regarding the applicant’s prior work experience
- Two letters from the proposed Beckman Institute faculty mentors/collaborators, with at least one being a full-time or part-time member of the Beckman Institute faculty
- Letters from proposed Beckman Institute faculty mentors/collaborators should explain how the faculty member intends to support the applicant’s research plan.
- Fellows receive an annual salary of $63,000 and a $25,000 research budget that can be spent on research activities such as supplies, equipment, and conference and workshop travel.
- Fellows are appointed annually for up to three years.
- Fellows are required to write annual reports and check in monthly with the director of the Beckman Institute.
Postdoctoral Fellows Program FAQ.
Postdoctoral Fellows Program funding and visa information.