Empowering power collaborators
The Beckman Institute is the home of collaborative research on a variety of topics related to science and technology. It offers space, core research facilities and staff support for administrative tasks such as proposal development, grant processing, visa processing, IT support, and more. Faculty members thrive on bringing together different disciplines to create new ideas.
The process for Beckman Institute faculty appointments
Are you a University of Illinois faculty member interested in joining Beckman?
Start the process in three different ways:
- Ask to join
- Be invited by one of your faculty collaborators
- Be invited by Beckman
The Beckman Institute director will ask Beckman's Executive Committee if you are a good fit. Then, the director will ask your unit head for approval. The director then offers you a a zero-time, unpaid, renewable annual appointment. Once you accept the offer, you’re in!
What it means to be a Beckman Institute faculty member
Beckman faculty members are expected to follow Beckman’s mission and core values. They’re evaluated on:
- research productivity, excellence, funding
- record of collaboration
- list the Beckman Institute as an affiliated organization in publications and presentations
- acknowledge the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation on publications co-authored with a Beckman Institute Graduate Fellow or Postdoctoral Fellow.
- mention Beckman in news releases about work conducted at the institute
Three levels of membership at Beckman
- Full-time faculty members conduct all their research within Beckman
- Part-time faculty members conduct some research at Beckman
- Affiliate faculty members, whose interests complement Beckman’s research, but who conduct their research elsewhere on campus
The Beckman Institute is a dynamic place, and one thing that sets it apart is its flexibility in its faculty members. All University of Illinois faculty members have a home unit on campus.
Grant processing at Beckman
Faculty members are encouraged to run their multidisciplinary grants through the Beckman Institute Business Office, as long as a majority of the proposed research will be conducted at Beckman. Doing so earns Beckman a portion of facilities and administration cost recovery, and does not change the amount of F&A returned to the faculty member’s home unit.