The Beckman Undergraduate Fellows Program, supported by funding from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, offers University of Illinois undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary research at the Institute.
This program allows up to five promising undergraduates to pursue research at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology during the summer.
A $3,000 disbursement will be made to each successful applicant’s University account at the end of the spring semester. The purpose of the $3,000 award is to pay for housing and/or other living expenses so that the selected students can remain on campus during the summer to conduct research in Beckman Institute laboratories.
- Applicants are expected to be engaged full-time in their research project at the Beckman Institute over the summer.
- A progress report, not to exceed one (1) page in length, must be completed at the midpoint of the summer and a final report, not to exceed two (2) pages in length, must be completed at the end of the summer.
- Recipient shall be an undergraduate student in good standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Recipient must be enrolled for the spring semester of the application year.
- Recipient must have already been working in a laboratory at the Beckman Institute for at least one (1) semester prior to the summer of the application year.
- Applications must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 5, 2019. All the application materials (CV, proposal, and letter of support) must be submitted by the application closing deadline.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form (NetID and password are required). The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents: (Curriculum Vitae and Research Plan/Personal Statement).
(2) Curriculum Vitae
A current curriculum vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above.
(3) Research Plan/Personal Statement
A description of proposed research project to be pursued. This section should not exceed three single spaced pages, excluding references. The research plan must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. The successful proposal will be understandable to a broad audience.
(4) Letter from Beckman Faculty Member
The application must also include a letter from a Beckman Institute faculty member indicating his or her willingness to sponsor the student for the summer at the Beckman Institute. The letter needs to be submitted as Adobe PDF file, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. All materials must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 5, 2019.
If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
- José González Abreu
- Douglas Chan
- Ilber Manavbasi
- Ewelina Nowak
- Masumi Prasad
- Lotanna Ezenekwe
- Vanessa Kalinowska
- Madison N. Wilson
- Chi Zhang
- Yuan Bian
- Jerome Davis
- Dongkwan Lee
- Kang Yong Loh
- Natalia Wojnowski
- Claire Boyer
- Xuelin Guo
- Justin Lien
- Qing Lin
- Elliot Young