The Neurotechnology for Memory and Cognition Awards, supported by funding from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, offers University of Illinois students the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary research in neuroscience and technology development.
This program will fund at least one graduate student and one undergraduate to pursue research at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology during the summer. The graduate award will be $5,500 and the undergraduate award will be $3,500.
Disbursements will be made to each successful applicant’s University account at the end of the spring semester. The purpose of these awards is to pay for housing and/or other living expenses so that the selected students can remain on campus during the summer to conduct research in Beckman Institute laboratories ($5,000 and $3,000, for graduate and undergraduate awards, respectively), as well as for research expenses ($500).
- Recipient shall be a graduate or undergraduate student in good standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Recipient must be enrolled for the spring semester of the application year.
- Recipient must have already been working in a laboratory at the Beckman Institute for at least one (1) semester prior to the summer of the application year.
- Applications must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 6, 2018. All the application materials (CV, proposal, and letter of support) must be submitted by 5:00 PM Central Time on the application closing date.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form (NetID and password are required). The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents: (Curriculum Vitae and Research Plan/Personal Statement).
The Application Form is currently closed.
(2) Curriculum Vitae
A current curriculum vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above.
(3) Research Plan/Personal Statement
A description of proposed research project to be pursued. This section should not exceed three single spaced pages, excluding references. The research plan must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. The successful proposal will be understandable to a broad audience.
(4) Letters of Reference
The application must also include a letter from a Beckman Institute faculty member indicating his or her willingness to sponsor the student for the summer at the Beckman Institute. The letter needs to be submitted as Adobe PDF file, via e-mail to email@example.com. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research.
All materials must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 6, 2018. If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michael Jorgensen
- Kevin Horecka