The Beckman Awards Program in Cognition, Lifespan Engagement, Aging and Resilience (CLEAR), supported by funding from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, offers University of Illinois students the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary research in cognitive aging.
This program will fund one graduate student and one undergraduate to pursue research at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology during the summer. The graduate award will be $5,500 and the undergraduate award will be $3,500.
Disbursements will be made to each successful applicant’s University account at the end of the spring semester. The purpose of these awards is to pay for housing and/or other living expenses so that the selected students can remain on campus during the summer to conduct research in Beckman Institute laboratories ($5,000 and $3,000, for graduate and undergraduate awards, respectively), as well as for research expenses ($500).
- The proposed research must relate to the goals of the CLEAR initiative at Beckman (https://beckman.illinois.edu/research/themes/intelligent-systems/clear). Preference will be given to projects that involve faculty from different departments.
- Applicants are expected to be engaged full-time in their research project at the Beckman Institute over the summer.
- A progress report, not to exceed two (2) pages in length, must be completed at the end of the summer and submitted to email@example.com.
Awardees will be invited to attend the Beckman Institute Student Awards ceremony on or around May 6, 2017.
- Recipients shall be a student in good standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Recipient must be enrolled for the spring 2017 semester.
- Applications must be received by noon Central Time on 12:00 PM Central Time on Friday, March 10, 2017. All the application materials (CV, proposal, and letter of support) must be submitted by noon Central Time on the application closing date.
The following items must be submitted no later than noon Central Time on 12:00 PM Central Time on Friday, March 10, 2017. Late or multiple submissions will not be accepted. The selected fellows will be announced on or around April 7, 2017.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form (NetID and password are required). The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents: (Curriculum Vitae and Research Plan/Personal Statement).
The Application Form is currently closed.
(2) Curriculum Vitae
A current curriculum vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above.
(3) Research Plan/Personal Statement
A description of proposed research project to be pursued. This section should not exceed three single spaced pages, excluding references. The research plan must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. The successful proposal will be understandable to a broad audience.
(4) Letters of Reference
In addition to the above materials, you should request letters of reference from two individuals familiar with your research. Please have your references either e-mail letters to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send them on official letterhead and under separate cover to the address below. The deadline for letters of reference is also noon Central Time on 12:00 PM Central Time on Friday, March 10, 2017. No faxed copies of the recommendation letters will be accepted. Original letters must be mailed to the address below:
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
405 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801 USA
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 CLEAR Awards competition. If you still have questions after reading through this page, please e-mail email@example.com.