The Carle Neuroscience Institute Undergraduate Research Award allows a promising undergraduate to pursue research in neuroscience or psychology at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology during the summer. A $3,000 disbursement will be made to the successful applicant’s University account at the end of the spring semester. A progress report, not to exceed one (1) page in length, must be completed at the midpoint of the summer and a final report, not to exceed two (2) pages in length, must be completed at the end of the summer. The successful applicant is expected to be engaged full-time in their research project at the Beckman Institute over the summer.
For summer 2018, two $3,000 awards will be given. The purpose of the $3,000 award is to pay for housing and/or other living expenses so that the selected student can remain on campus during the summer to conduct research in Beckman Institute laboratories and the Carle Neuroscience Institute. The recipient shall be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Recipient shall be United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Recipient’s research topic must be in the field of neuroscience or psychology.
- Recipient shall be an undergraduate in good standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Recipient must be enrolled for the spring semester of the application year.
- All the application materials (CV, proposal, and letter of support) must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form (NetID and password are required). The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents: (Curriculum Vitae and Research Plan/Personal Statement).
(2) Curriculum Vitae
A current curriculum vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above.
(3) Research Plan/Personal Statement
A description of proposed research project to be pursued. This section should not exceed three single spaced pages, excluding references. The research plan must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. The successful proposal will be understandable to a broad audience.
(4) Letter from Beckman Faculty Member
The application must also include a letter from a Beckman Institute faculty member indicating the role the student has played in previous research projects led by the faculty member. The letter needs to be submitted as an Adobe PDF file, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All materials must be received by 5:00 PM Central Time on Tuesday, March 6, 2018. If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com.