Issue 74: October 2015
Honors and Awards
Emad Tajkhorshid, full-time faculty member in the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, and Leanne Knobloch, affiliate in Human Perception and Performance, have been named University Scholars in recognition of excellence in teaching, scholarship and service.
Google Apps Update
Google Apps have now been made available for faculty, staff, and graduate students. For important considerations regarding using these apps, see the frequently asked questions. Take special note of the section Can faculty and staff use Google Apps @ Illinois for email and calendar? including the warning about Google Mail. The full announcement can be found on the Technology Services page. The Beckman ITS Help Desk will be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have.
- Transfer Learning Across Language Similarity Networks (PI: Hasegawa-Johnson; University of Washington-DARPA)
- Novel Methods to Assess the Effects of Chemicals on Child Development (PI: Schantz; NIH)
- Network for Computational Nanotechnology-NanoBIO Node (PI: Tajkhorshid; NSF)
Welcome to the following new Beckman employees:
- Zhen Bi, 0% Visiting Scholar (P. Braun)
- Shengwen Guo, 0% Visiting Scholar (Z. Liang)
- Limei Tian (Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Fan Lam (Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Yingjie Zhang (Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Daniel Kleinman (Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Latifeh Navidpour, 0% Visiting Scholar (E. Tajkhorshid)
- Gang Wang, Postdoctoral Research Associate (J. Lyding)
- Brahim Mohammedi, 0% Visiting Scholar (N. Sobh)
- Viorel Nastasa, 0% Visiting Scholar (G. Popescu)
- Zhiyuan Lin, 0% Visiting Scholar (J. Leburton)
- Mingguang Shan, 0% Visiting Scholar (G. Popescu)
- Lei Gao, 0% Visiting Scholar (P. Braun)
- Lydia Kisley, Postdoctoral Research Associate (D. Leckband and M. Gruebele)
- Dan Li, 0% Visiting Scholar (Z. Liang)
Flu Vaccination Clinic
Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 19-20 in Room 1003
The McKinley Health Center will administer the 4 strain vaccination.
Flu shots (influenza vaccine) are available at no charge to all U of I students who have paid the Health Service Fee. A valid ID must be presented at the time of service. McKinley Health Center encourages all students to get their flu shot.
The seasonal flu shot is also available to eligible State Employees and Retirees. To receive the seasonal vaccination at no charge:
• each employee must present his/her state health insurance card and his/her State ID card.
• each retiree must present his/her state health insurance card and another form of ID.
Chambana Science Café
“This is your Brain on Exercise: How Your Brain’s Genes Influence Your Motivation to Work Out,”
Michael C. Saul, Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology Fellow
5:30 pm Wed, Oct. 7, Pizza M, Urbana
“The Evolution of Vascular Materials,” Nancy Sottos, Materials Science and Engineering,
Noon, Thursday, Oct. 8, Room 1005 Beckman Institute
Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Initiative (IHSI) Town Hall Meeting
10 am Tuesday, Oct. 13, Room 1005 Beckman Institute
IHSI Director Neal Cohen will introduce the initiative, explaining how it catalyzes health research, connects investigators and labs with clinical partners, provides research support, and engages the communities in participatory health sciences research and outreach.
Graduate Student Seminar
Noon Wednesday, Oct. 14
Minje Kim – Artificial Intelligence
Patty Weisensee – 3D Micro- and Nanosystems
Ziad Mahmassani – Bioimaging Science and Technology
Lyle Lanier Lecture
“Talking with your Brain Waves: A Communication Tool for Locked in Patients,”
Emanuel Donchin, professor emeritus, University of South Florida
4 pm Thursday, Oct. 15, Beckman Auditorium
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website www.beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the Institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and feature stories on our research programs.