Communication from the Director
Issue 22: July 2010
MORROW NAMED CO-CHAIR OF HUMAN-COMPUTER INTELLIGENT INTERACTION RESEARCH THEME
Dan Morrow was recently chosen as an HCII co-chair to replace the position I left vacant after assuming the role of Director of the Beckman Institute. Dan brings many years of experience collaborating on research projects involving psychology, aviation, medicine, and technology to his new position as Co-chair of HCII. Dan will serve as Co-chair with Tom Huang. Thank you Dan for giving your time to the Beckman Institute! http://www.beckman.illinois.edu/news/morrowcochair
HUANG WINS MOST CITED PAPER OF THE DECADE AWARD
Congratulations to Tom Huang and his co-authors for receiving the “Most Cited Paper of the Decade Award” from the Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation.
BOPPART INVITED TO PRESTIGIOUS 2010 NAKFI CONFERENCE
Congratulations to Stephen Boppart for being invited to the 2010 National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI) Conference, “Seeing the Future with Imaging Science.” This “think-tank” style conference brings together some of the best and brightest researchers from academic, industrial, and government laboratories to explore and discover interdisciplinary connections in important areas of cutting-edge research. Participants are also invited to compete for $1 million in seed grants for the pursuit of new ideas stimulated by the conference.
2010-2011 DIRECTOR’S SEMINAR SPEAKERS ANNOUNCED
I am pleased to announce the speakers and dates for the Beckman Institute’s 2010-2011 Director’s Seminar Series:
- September 8, Alek Aksimentiev (M&ENS/Physics)
- October 27, Zhi-Pei Liang (IntIm/ECE)
- November 17, Umberto Ravaioli (M&ENS/ECE)
- January 26, Michael Oelze (IntIm/ECE)
- February 23, Diane Beck (BioIntel/Psychology)
- March 16, Joel Voss and Agustin Mihi (Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows)
- April 20, Amy Shih and Edward Wlotko (Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows)
Each of the above seminar dates are on a Wednesday. The talks begin promptly at Noon in Room 1005. Lunch will be provided.
Congratulations to the following investigators who have received grant funding during the period of June 22 – July 21, 2010:
- Advanced optical imaging (PI: S. Boppart; Sponsor: NSF)
- Administrative support for the Society of Engineering Science, Inc. (PI: S. White; Sponsor: Society of Engineering)
- Influence of fitness on brain and cognition (PI: A. Kramer; Sponsor: NIH)
- ERK activation in human leucocyte (PI: I. Weiler; Sponsor: Hoffman-La Roche Inc.)
- Controlling sensitivity bias in functional MRI studies due to field inhomogenity (PI: B. Sutton; Sponsor: NIH)
NEW HIRES & A RETIREMENTS
Please welcome the following new hires to the Beckman Institute:
- Kap Luk Chan, Visiting Scholar (T. Huang)
- Ilya Solovyov, Visiting Scholar (K. Schulten)
- Sang-Yeob Han, Visiting Scholar (S. Boppart)
- Congratulations to the following people who will be retiring effective July 31, 2010:
- Patricia Belton, Account Technician II (Grants Team)
- Joyce Lucas, Office Manager (Schulten Group)
- Naomi Roberts, Administrative Clerk (Human Resources Team)
- Joyce Woodworth, Coordinator of Research Programs (S. White, J. Moore)
Thanks to all of you for your hard work and dedication to the Beckman Institute and the University of Illinois!
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website www.beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and featured stories on our research programs.
July 28, 2010