Primary AffiliationBrain Connectivity and Networks
Status Research Staff
Home Department of Psychology
Address 2438 Beckman Institute, 405 North Mathews Avenue
Ryan J. Larsen is a Research Scientist with the Center for Nutrition, Learning, and Memory at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Larsen’s research uses MRI to study the physical correlates of cognitive performance, and how they relate to nutrition, cardiorespiratory fitness, and body composition. His research covers the human lifespan, including infants, children, young adults, and older adults. Dr. Larsen ’s research has employed a variety of techniques, including MR Spectroscopy, sodium MRI, relaxation parameter mapping, simultaneous EEG-fMRI, Arterial Spin Labeling, Diffusion Tensor Imaging, and Voxel-Based Morphometry. Dr. Larsen has also performed research on a variety of topics in materials science and mechanics, including rheology, stereology, materials synthesis, and the phase behavior of soft materials. Dr. Larsen holds a Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Harvard University.
- Larsen, RJ, Gagoski, B, Morton, SU, et al. Quantification of magnetic resonance spectroscopy data using a combined reference: Application in typically developing infants. NMR in Biomedicine (2021).
- Larsen, R. J. et al. Body mass and cardiorespiratory fitness are associated with altered brain metabolism. Metabolic Brain Disease (2020).
- Tian, L. et al. Large-area MRI-compatible epidermal electronic interfaces for prosthetic control and cognitive monitoring. Nature biomedical engineering 3, 194-205 (2019).
- Irvine, M. A. et al. The cognitive ageing, nutrition and neurogenesis (CANN) trial: design and progress. Alzheimer's & Dementia: Translational Research & Clinical Interventions 4, 591-601 (2018).
- Scavuzzo, C. J., Moulton, C. J. & Larsen, R. J. The use of magnetic resonance spectroscopy for assessing the effect of diet on cognition. Nutritional neuroscience 21, 1-15 (2018).
- Nikolaidis, A. et al. Multivariate associations of fluid intelligence and NAA. Cerebral cortex 27, 2607-2616 (2017).
- Larsen, R. J., Newman, M. & Nikolaidis, A. Reduction of variance in measurements of average metabolite concentration in anatomically-defined brain regions. Journal of Magnetic Resonance 272, 73-81 (2016).
- Paul, E. J. et al. Dissociable brain biomarkers of fluid intelligence. NeuroImage 137, 201-211 (2016).