Associate Director for Research
Primary AffiliationAssociate Director for Research
Patricia M. Jones is the Associate Director for Research at the Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In this role, she provides management oversight over a variety of research programs and the Beckman centralized research facilities. From September 2010 through February 2012, she was the Deputy Director of Exploration Technology at NASA Ames Research Center, where she had oversight over a workforce of 700 civil servants and contractors doing research and technology development on entry systems, intelligent systems, supercomputing, and human-systems integration. Previously, she was the acting Chief of the Human Systems Integration Division at NASA Ames from 2003-2010 and the Deputy Chief of that Division from 2001-2003. She received the B.S. in psychology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the M. S. and PhD in industrial and systems engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. Before joining NASA, she was an Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She has published more than sixty papers in the areas of human- machine interaction and computer-supported cooperative work. She is a senior member of IEEE and a member of the HFES and ACM professional societies.
2009 NASA Group Achievement Award for OCO Mishap Investigation Board
2000 Stanley Pierce Award, UIUC College of Engineering
1999 Rose Award for Teaching Excellence, UIUC College of Engineering
1998 IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Andrew P. Sage Award for Best Paper published in the IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics in 1997
1998 IEEE Systems. Man, and Cybernetics Society Outstanding Contribution Award for service in organizing sessions at the annual meetings
1996 Navy/ASEE Summer Faculty Fellow, NCCOSC, San Diego CA
1993 NASA/ASEE Summer Faculty Fellow NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt MD
1992 National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award
1992 - 1993 UIUC Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Scholar
- Jones, P. M. and Fiedler, E. (2010). Human performance in space. In D. Harris (Ed.), Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, Volume 6 (pp. 172-197). Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- Dorneich, M. C. and Jones, P. M. (2001). The UIUC virtual spectrometer: A Java-based collaborative learning environment. Journal of Engineering Education, October 2001, 713-720.
- Jones, P. M. and Jacobs, J. L. (2000). Cooperative problem solving in human-machine systems: Theory, models, and intelligent associate systems. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 30, 4, 397-407.
- Jones, P. M. (1999). Human error and its amelioration. In Handbook of Systems Engineering and Management (A. P. Sage and W. B. Rouse, eds.), 687-702. John Wiley.
- Jones, P. M. and Jasek, C. A. (1998). From distributed supervisory control to enterprise integration: Coordination support for operational environments. Group Decision and Negotiation (special issue on information technology for enterprise coordination and integration), Volume 7, No. 3, 249-264.
- Jones, P. M. and Jasek, C. A. (1997). Intelligent support for activity management (ISAM): An architecture to support distributed supervisory control. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Special issue on Human Interaction in Complex Systems, Vol. 27, No. 3, May 1997, 274-288.
- Hyatt, A., Contractor, N. and Jones, P. M. (1996). Computational organizational network modeling: Strategies and an example. Computational and Mathematical Organizational Theory, 2, No. 4, 285-300.
- Jones, P. M. and Schneider, K. J. (1996). Learning environment for magnetic resonance spectroscopy (LEMRS): Supporting apprenticeship learning in operational environments. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 5, 2, 151-178.
- Chu, R. W., Mitchell, C. M. and Jones, P. M. (1995). Using the operator function model and OFMspert as the basis for an intelligent tutoring system: Towards a tutor/aid paradigm for operators of supervisory control systems. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 25, No. 7, 1054-1075.
- Jones, P. M. (1995). Cooperative work in mission operations: Analysis and implications for computer support. Computer-Supported Cooperative Work: An International Journal, 3, 1, 103-145.
- Jones, P. M. (1995). Designing for operations: Towards a sociotechnical systems and cognitive engineering approach to concurrent engineering. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Special Issue on Ergonomics and Simultaneous Engineering, Vol. 16, Nos. 4-6, 283-292.
- Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1995). Human-computer cooperative problem solving: Theory, design, and evaluation of an intelligent associate system. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 25, No. 7, 1039-1053.
- Jones, P. M., Chu, R. W. and Mitchell, C. M. (1995). A methodology for human-machine systems research: Knowledge engineering, modeling, and simulation. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 25, No. 7, 1025-1038.
- Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1994). Model-based communicative acts: Human-computer collaboration in supervisory control. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies , 41, 527-551.
- Jones, P. M., Mitchell, C. M. and Rubin, K. S. (1990). Validation of intent inferencing by a model-based operator's associate. International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 33, 177-202.
- Jones, P. M., Wickens, C. D. and Deutsch, S. J. (1990). The display of multivariate information: An experimental study of an information integration task. Human Performance, 3, 1, 1-17.
- Rubin, K. S., Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1988). OFMspert: Inference of operator intentions in supervisory control using a blackboard architecture. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 18, 618-637.