The Janssen Family Undergraduate Research Award allows a promising undergraduate to pursue research in neuroscience or psychology at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology during the summer. The recipient shall be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States. Preference will be given to female applicants. The successful applicant is expected to be engaged full-time in their research project at the Beckman Institute over the summer.
A progress report, not to exceed one (1) page in length, must be completed at the midpoint of the summer and a final report, not to exceed two (2) pages in length, must be completed at the end of the summer.
One $3,000 award will be given. The purpose of the $3,000 award is to pay for housing and/or other living expenses so that the selected student can remain on campus during the summer to conduct research in Beckman Institute laboratories. A $3,000 disbursement will be made to the successful applicant’s University account at the end of the spring semester.
- Recipient shall be United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Recipient’s research topic must be in the field of neuroscience or psychology.
- Recipient shall be an undergraduate in good standing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Recipient must be enrolled for the spring 2017 semester.
- Recipient must have already been working in a laboratory at the Beckman Institute for at least one (1) semester prior to the summer 2017 semester.
- Applications must be received by noon noon Central Time on Friday, March 10, 2017. All the application materials (CV, proposal, and letter of support) must be submitted by noon Central Time on the application closing date.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form (NetID and password are required). The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents: (Curriculum Vitae and Research Plan/Personal Statement).
(2) Curriculum Vitae
A current curriculum vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above.
(3) Research Plan/Personal Statement
A description of proposed research project to be pursued. This section should not exceed three single spaced pages, excluding references. The research plan must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file using the upload form mentioned above. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research. The successful proposal will be understandable to a broad audience.
(4) Letter from Beckman Faculty Member
The application must also include a letter from a Beckman Institute faculty member indicating his or her willingness to sponsor the student for the summer at the Beckman Institute. The letter needs to be submitted as Adobe PDF file, via e-mail to email@example.com. A statement must be included in either the letter from the faculty member or the research proposal that indicates the specific role that the student will play in the research.
All materials must be received by noon Central Time on Friday, March 10, 2017. If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2016: Rachel Pharris
- 2015: Elizabeth Grogan and Kathleen Maigler
For questions, please contact email@example.com.