Pengfei Song is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, the Department of Bioengineering, and the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. He is a full-time faculty member at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology.
Before joining the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Song was an assistant professor of biomedical engineering and radiology as well as an associate consultant in the Department of Radiology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He conducted his postdoctoral research at Mayo Clinic under the supervision of Dr. James Greenleaf and Dr. Shigao Chen, with the support of the American Heart Association postdoctoral fellowship and the NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award.
Dr. Song has published over 80 peer-reviewed journal papers on topics of ultrasound shear wave elastography, ultrafast microvessel imaging, and super-resolution microvessel imaging. He holds several patents that have been licensed and commercialized by major ultrasound companies, installed on top-tier ultrasound scanners, and used worldwide in the clinic to benefit patients.
Dr. Song has delivered over a dozen invited presentations at prominent international conferences including the Gordon Research Conference. He is an elected Fellow of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, a Senior Member of the National Academy of Inventors, a Senior Member of IEEE, and a Full Member of the Acoustical Society of America.
- B.S., biomedical engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
- M.S., biomedical engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ph.D., biomedical engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science, Rochester, Minnesota, 2014
- Edward C. Kendall Alumni Award for Meritorious Research, Mayo Clinic Alumni Association, Rochester, MN, 2018.
- NIH/NIBIB Trailblazer Award
- Deans' Award for Excellence in Research for Assistant Professor, Grainger College of Engineering
- Introduction to Academic Radiology for Scientists (ITARSc) Program, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago, IL, 2017.
- NIH/NCI K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award, 2017-2022.
- American Heart Association postdoctoral fellowship, 2014-2016.
- IEEE UFFC Society 2012 Student Paper Competition Award, IEEE IUS, Dresden, Germany, 2012.
- Dean’s Fellowship, Mayo Graduate School, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science, 2010-2012.
- Ultrafast ultrasound imaging
- Ultrasound microvessel imaging
- Ultrasound shear wave elastography
- Neuroscience is "the wild west," Pengfei Song told Nautilus
- Interdisciplinary researchers receive $2M to develop next-generation 3D ultrasound imaging device
- Beckman Director's Seminar: Pengfei Song
- Could ultrasound help detect Alzheimer’s early?
- Illinois researchers’ development of imaging introduces new health applications in study of Alzheimer’s disease
- NIH awards University of Illinois researchers grant for Alzheimer’s ultrasound imaging
- Researchers funded to develop ultrasound imaging tools to study Alzheimer's disease
- Beckman researchers develop new ultrasound tool to measure blood flow and image microvasculature in brain
- New ultrasound tool measures blood flow, images microvasculature in the brain
- Seven students win 2022 Beckman Institute Graduate Fellowships
- Song, Rodriguez-Lopez receive Illinois Proof-of-Concept Program Awards
- Beckman postdoctoral fellows address cancer research, medical imaging grand challenges