- Title: Assistant Professor
- Group: Autonomous Materials Systems
- Status: Beckman Affiliate Faculty
- Home: Mechanical Science and Engineering
Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2011); Member, Electrochemical Society (2011); Member, Materials Research Society (2009).
- Iyer, V.A., J. K. Schuh, E.C. Montoto, V.P. Nemani, S. Qian, G. Nagarjuna, J. Rodríguez-Lopez, R.H. Ewoldt, K.C. Smith, (2017) Assessing the impact of electrolyte conductivity and viscosity on the reactor cost and pressure drop of redox-active polymer flow batteries, Journal of Power Sources, 361, 334.
- Nemani, V.P. and K. C. Smith, (2017) Uncovering the role of flow rate in redox-active polymer flow batteries: simulation of reaction distributions with simultaneous mixing in tanks, Electrochimica ACTA, 247, 475.
- Smith, K.C., (2017) Theoretical evaluation of electrochemical cell architectures using cation intercalation electrodes for desalination, Electrochimica ACTA, 230, 333.
- Dmello, R., J.D. Milshtein, F.R. Brushett, and K.C. Smith, (2016) Cost-driven materials selection criteria for redox flow battery electrolytes, Journal of Power Sources, 330, 261.
- Duan, W., R.S. Vemuri, J.D. Milshtein, S. Laramie, R.D. Dmello, J. Huang, L. Zhang, D. Hu, M. Vijayakumar, W. Wang, J. Liu, R.M. Darling, L. Thompson, K. Smith, J.S. Moore, F.R. Brushett, and X. Wei, (2016) A symmetric organic-based nonaqueous redox flow battery and its state of charge diagnostics by FTIR, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 4, 5448.
- Smith, K.C. and R. Dmello, (2016) Na-Ion Desalination (NID) Enabled by Na-Blocking Membranes and Symmetric Na-Intercalation: Porous-Electrode Modeling, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163 A530.
- Hopkins, B.J., K.C. Smith, A.H. Slocum, and Y.-M. Chiang, (2015) Component-cost and performance based comparison of flow and static batteries, Journal of Power Sources, 293 1032.
- Nemani, V.P., S.J. Harris, and K.C. Smith, (2015) Design of Bi-Tortuous, Anisotropic Graphite Anodes for Fast Ion-Transport in Li-Ion Batteries, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 162 A1415.
- Wei, T.S., F.Y. Fan, A. Helal, K.C. Smith, G.H. McKinley, Y.-M. Chiang, and J.A. Lewis, (2015) Biphasic Electrode Suspensions for Li-Ion Semisolid Flow Cells with High Energy Density, Fast Charge Transport, and Low-Dissipation Flow, Advanced Energy Materials, 5 1500535.
- Jackson, G.R., K.C. Smith, P.C. McCarthy, and T.S. Fisher, (2015) Modeling of Thermal Storage in Wax-Impregnated Foams with a Pore-Scale Submodel, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 29 812.
- Smith, K.C., Y.-M. Chiang, and W.C. Carter, (2014) Maximizing Energetic Efficiency in Flow Batteries Utilizing Non-Newtonian Fluids, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 161 A486.
- Smith, K.C., I. Srivastava, M. Alam, and T.S. Fisher, (2014) Variable-cell method for stress-controlled jamming of athermal, frictionless grains, Physical Review E, 89 042203.
- Fan, F., W.H. Woodford, Z. Li, N. Baram, K.C. Smith, A. Helal, G.H. McKinley, W.C. Carter, and Y.-M. Chiang, (2014) Polysulfide Flow Batteries Enabled by Percolating Nanoscale Conductor Networks, Nano Letters, 14 2210.
- Smith, K.C., V.E. Brunini, Y. Dong, Y.-M. Chiang, and W.C. Carter, (2014) Electroactive-Zone Extension in Flow-Battery Stacks, Electrochimica ACTA, 147 460.
- Li, Z., K.C. Smith, Y. Dong, N. Baram, F. Fan, J. Xie, P. Limthongkul, W.C. Carter, and Y.-M. Chiang, (2013) Aqueous semi-solid flow cell: demonstration and analysis, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 15 15833.
- Rao, K.D.M., B. Radha, K.C. Smith, T.S. Fisher, and G.U. Kulkarni, (2013) Solution-processed soldering of carbon nanotubes for flexible electronics, Nanotechnology, 24 075301.
- Smith, K.C. and T.S. Fisher, (2013) Conduction in jammed systems of tetrahedra, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 135 081301.
- Srivastava, I., S. Sadasivam, K.C. Smith, and T.S. Fisher, (2013) Combined Microstructure and Heat Conduction Modeling of Heterogeneous Interfaces and Materials, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 135 061603.
- Cadena, M.J., R. Misiego, K.C. Smith, A. Avila, B. Pipes, R. Reifenberger, and A. Raman, (2013) Sub-surface imaging of carbon nanotube-polymer composites using dynamic AFM methods, Nanotechnology, 24 135706.
- Smith, K.C. and T.S. Fisher, (2012) Models for metal hydride particle shape, packing, and heat transfer, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 13417-13428.
- Smith, K.C., P. Mukherjee, and T.S. Fisher, (2012) Columnar order in jammed LiFePO4 cathodes: Ion transport catastrophe and its mitigation, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 14 7040-7050.
The Communications Office maintains the information included in Beckman Institute's online directory listings. In order to update your directory listing, please submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a short bio including information on your educational background and your field
- any honors and awards you may have received
- a description of your research (approximately 200-400 words)
- a list of recent representative publications
- a photo of yourself (you can submit one or we can take one for you)