- Title: Professor Emeritus
- Group: Bioacoustics Research Laboratory
- Status: Beckman Part-time Faculty
- Home: Food Science and Human Nutrition
- 4225 Beckman Institute
- 405 North Mathews Avenue
- Urbana, Illinois 61801
Dr. Erdman is Emeritus Professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Professor of Internal Medicine and Professor of Nutrition in the Division of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana. Dr. Erdman's training and expertise encompass the nutritional and physiological biochemistry of man and animals. He has authored over 200 original research articles on these subjects and has over 350 total publications including other articles and chapters. His H-Index in the Web of Science is 50. He is a member of a variety of professional organizations including the American Society for Nutrition (ASN), the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), and the American Heart Association (AHA). He is past President of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences (now ASN), has been elected Fellow for ASN, AHA and IFT. He has served on 27 committees for the Institute of Medicine (generally through the Food and Nutrition Board [FNB]), National Academy of Sciences (NAS). He served on the FNB for 9 years, 6 as Vice Chair and as Chair of the Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) and Chair of the Committee on Military Nutrition Research. This committee published the report "Nutrition and Traumatic Brain Injury" in 2011. For his extensive contributions to the NAS, he was named as Lifetime National Associate of the NAS in 2001 and was elected as a Member of the Institute of Medicine (now National Academy of Medicine), NAS in 2003. Other honors include: receipt of the Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research and the William Cruess Award for Teaching from IFT: the Dannon Institute Mentorship Award from ASN; being named as an Original Member in Agricultural Science by ISI as an Highly Cited Researcher (top 0.05%); and several University of Illinois Excellent and Outstanding Teaching awards. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of ILSI- NA. He is senior editor of the 10th Edition, Present Knowledge of Nutrition published in 2012. Dr Erdman received his B.S., M.S., M.Ph., and Ph.D. in Food Science from Rutgers University.
- Moran, N. E.; Novotny, J. A.; Cichon, M. J.; Riedl, K. M.; Rogers, R. B.; Grainger, E. M.; Schwartz, S. J.; Erdman, J. W.; Clinton, S. K., Absorption and Distribution Kinetics of the C-13-Labeled Tomato Carotenoid Phytoene in Healthy Adults. Journal of Nutrition 2016, 146, (2), 368-376, DOI:10.3945/jn.115.220525.
Smith, B. W.; Simpson, D. G.; Sarwate, S.; Miller, R. J.; Erdman, J. W.; O’Brien, W. D., Contrast Ultrasound Imaging of the Aorta Does Not Affect Progression of Atherosclerosis or Cardiovascular Biomarkers in Apoe-/- Mice. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2015, 34, 1115-1122.
Clinton, S. K.; Erdman, J. W., Willard J Visek, MD, Phd (1922-2014). Journal of Nutrition 2015, 145, (3), 381-384, DOI:10.3945/jn.114.204016.
Balentine, D. A.; Dwyer, J. T.; Erdman, J. W.; Ferruzzi, M. G.; Gaine, P. C.; Hamly, J. M.; Kwik-Uribe, C. L., Recommendations on Reporting Requirements for Flavonoids in Research. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2015, 101, (6), 1113-1125, DOI:10.3945/ajcn.113.071274.
- Andre, M.; Heba, E.; Han, A.; Lin, S.; Wolfson, T.; Ang, B.; Gamst, A.; Erdman, J.; O'Brien, W.; Sirlin, C.; Loomba, R., Diagnosis and Quantification of Liver Steatosis with Quantitative Ultrasound Backscatter Technique. Medical Physics 2015, 42, (6), 3684-3684.
- Conlon, L. E.; Wallig, M. A.; Erdman, J. W., Low-Lycopene Containing Tomato Powder Diet Does Not Protect against Prostate Cancer in Tramp Mice. Nutrition Research 2015, 35, (10), 882-890, DOI:10.1016/j.nutres.2015.07.003.
- Conlon, L.; Wallig, M.; Erdman, J., Low-Lycopene Tomato Powder Alters Prostate Biology in Tramp Mice. FASEB Journal 2015, 29.
- Erdman, J. W.; Smith, J. W.; Kuchan, M. J.; Mohn, E. S.; Johnson, E. J.; Rubakhin, S. S.; Wang, L.; Sweedler, J. V.; Neuringer, M., Lutein and Brain Function. Foods 2015, 4, (4), 547-564.
- Johnson, E. J.; Mohn, E. S.; Matthan, N. R.; Neuringer, M.; Crivello, N.; Erdman, J. W.; Kuchan, M. J., Distribution of Lutein in Membranes of Rhesus Macaque Brain: Relationships to Cell Function and Viability. European Journal of Ophthalmology 2015, 25, (4), E70-E71.
- Lin, S. C.; Heba, E.; Wolfson, T.; Ang, B.; Gamst, A.; Han, A. G.; Erdman, J. W.; O'Brien, W. D.; Andre, M. P.; Sirlin, C. B.; Loomba, R., Noninvasive Diagnosis of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Quantification of Liver Fat Using a New Quantitative Ultrasound Technique. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2015, 13, (7), 1337-+, DOI:10.1016/j.cgh.2014.11.027.
- Mohn, E.; Matthan, N.; Neuringer, M.; Crivello, N.; Erdman, J.; Kuchan, M.; Johnson, E., Distribution of Lutein in Membranes of Rhesus Macaque Brain. FASEB Journal 2015, 29.
- Moran, N. E.; Cichon, M. J.; Riedl, K. M.; Grainger, E. M.; Schwartz, S. J.; Novotny, J. A.; Erdman, J. W.; Clinton, S. K., Compartmental and Noncompartmental Modeling of C-13-Lycopene Absorption, Isomerization, and Distribution Kinetics in Healthy Adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2015, 102, (6), 1436-1449, DOI:10.3945/ajcn.114.103143.
- Neuringer, M.; Renner, L.; Johnson, E. E.; Pandit, N.; McGill, T. J.; Johnson, E. J.; Kuchan, M.; Erdman, J., Exploring the Roles of the Xanthophylls in Macular Development. European Journal of Ophthalmology 2015, 25, (4), E69-E69.
- Smith, B. W.; Miller, R. J.; Wilund, K. R.; O'Brien, W. D.; Erdman, J. W., Effects of Tomato and Soy Germ on Lipid Bioaccumulation and Atherosclerosis in Apoe(-/-) Mice. Journal of Food Science 2015, 80, (8), H1918-H1925, DOI:10.1111/1750-3841.12968.
- Smith, B. W.; Simpson, D. G.; Miller, R. J.; Erdman, J. W.; O'Brien, W. D., Contrast Ultrasound Imaging Does Not Affect Heat Shock Protein 70 Expression in Cholesterol-Fed Rabbit Aorta. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2015, 34, (7), 1209-1216, DOI:10.7863/ultra.34.7.1209.
- Smith, B. W.; Simpson, D. G.; Sarwate, S.; Miller, R. J.; Erdman, J. W.; O'Brien, W. D., Contrast Ultrasound Imaging of the Aorta Does Not Affect Progression of Atherosclerosis or Cardiovascular Biomarkers in Apoe(-/-) Mice. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2015, 34, (6), 1115-1122, DOI:10.7863/ultra.34.6.1115.
- Smith, J.; Rogers, R.; Jeon, S.; Rubakhin, S.; Wang, L.; Sweedler, J.; Kuchan, M.; Erdman, J., Production of Uniformly Labeled C-13-Lutein and C-13-Alpha-Tocopherol in vitro Using Carrot Cell Suspension Culture. FASEB Journal 2015, 29.
- Smith, J.; Ford, N.; Austin, K.; Clinton, S.; Erdman, J., A Role for Bco1 Beyond Carotenoid Metabolism: Effects on Androgen Status and Prostatic Homeostasis. FASEB Journal 2015, 29.
Wan, L.; Tan, H. L.; Thomas-Ahner, J. M.; Pearl, D. K.; Erdman, J. W.; Moran, N. E.; Clinton, S. K., Dietary Tomato and Lycopene Impact Androgen Signaling- and Carcinogenesis-Related Gene Expression During Early Tramp Prostate Carcinogenesis. Cancer Prevention Research 2014, 7, (12), 1228-1239, DOI:10.1158/1940-6207.Capr-14-0182.
Van Blarigan, E. L.; Ma, J.; Kenfield, S. A.; Stampfer, M. J.; Sesso, H. D.; Giovannucci, E. L.; Witte, J. S.; Erdman, J. W.; Chan, J. M.; Penney, K. L., Plasma Antioxidants, Genetic Variation in SOD2, CAT, GPX1, GPX4, and Prostate Cancer Survival. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 2014, 23, (6), 1037-1046, DOI:10.1158/1055-9965.Epi-13-0670.
Liu, A. G.; Juvik, J. A.; Jeffery, E. H.; Berman-Booty, L. D.; Clinton, S. K.; Erdman, J. W., Enhancement of Broccoli Indole Glucosinolates by Methyl Jasmonate Treatment and Effects on Prostate Carcinogenesis. Journal of Medicinal Food 2014, 17, (11), 1177-1182, DOI:10.1089/jmf.2013.0145.
Han, A. G.; Erdman, J. W.; Simpson, D. G.; Andre, M. P.; O'Brien, W. D., Early Detection of Fatty Liver Disease in Mice via Quantitative Ultrasound. 2014 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (Ius) 2014 2363-2366, DOI:10.1109/Ultsym.2014.0589.
Ellwood, K.; Balentine, D. A.; Dwyer, J. T.; Erdman, J. W.; Gaine, P. C.; Kwik-Uribe, C. L., Considerations on an Approach for Establishing a Framework for Bioactive Food Components. Advances in Nutrition 2014, 5, (6), 693-701, DOI:10.3945/an.114.006312.
Andre, M. P.; Han, A. G.; Heba, E.; Hooker, J.; Loomba, R.; Sirlin, C. B.; Erdman, J. W.; O'Brien, W. D., Accurate Diagnosis of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Human Participants via Quantitative Ultrasound. 2014 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS) 2014 2375-2377, DOI:10.1109/Ultsym.2014.0592.
The Communications Office maintains the information included in Beckman Institute's online directory listings. In order to update your directory listing, please submit the following information to email@example.com:
- a short bio including information on your educational background and your field
- any honors and awards you may have received
- a description of your research (approximately 200-400 words)
- a list of recent representative publications
- a photo of yourself (you can submit one or we can take one for you)