Primary AffiliationNeurotechnology for Memory and Cognition
Status Affiliate Faculty
Home Department of Comparative Biosciences
The long-term objective of our laboratory research is to elucidate the interaction between immune system and nervous system in autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, and neurodegenerative diseases. For example, inflammation in the peripheral lymphoid organs by infections, or in the CNS by traumatic injury, could cause blood brain barrier (BBB) damage, which may further result in immune cell infiltration into the CNS. Infiltrated immune cells may pathologically affect the nervous system, and vice versa. Therefore, we investigate interactions between the nervous system and immune system to identify the mechanisms of autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, and neurodegenerative diseases. Further, we are interested in the role of environmental factors (e.g. stress and aging) and biological factors (e.g. steroid hormones) in these diseases and neuro-immune communications in the CNS. The research goal of our lab is to lead the push towards the development of novel and effective therapeutic protocols for treating several diseases.
- Deerhake E, Danzaki K, Inoue M, Cardakli E, Nonaka1T, Aggarwal N, Barclay W, Ji R Shinohara M. Dectin-1 limits CNS autoimmunity through a non-canonical pathway. Immunity 54, 1-15, 2021
- Khaw YM, Majid D, Oh S, Kang E, Inoue M*. Early-life-trauma triggers interferon-ß resistance and neurodegeneration in a multiple sclerosis model via downregulated ß1-adrenergic signaling. Nature communications. 12, 1-16, 2021
- Khaw YM, T.A., Cunningham C, Soto-Díaz K, Kang E, Steelman AJ, Inoue M*. Astrocytes lure CXCR2-expressing CD4+T cells to grey matter via TAK1-mediated chemokine production in mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 118 (8), 2021
- Khaw YM, Aggarwal N, Barclay WE, Kang E, Inoue M*, Shinohara ML*. Th1-dependent Cryptococcus-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (C-IRIS) model with brain damage. Frontiers in Immunology. 11:2466, 2020
- Khaw YM, Cunningham C, Tierney A, Sivaguru M, Inoue M*. Neutrophil-selective deletion of Cxcr2 protects against CNS neurodegeneration in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Journal of neuroinflammation. 17(1), pp.1-12, 2020.
- Song Z, Khaw YM, Pacheco LA, Tseng KY, Tan Z, Cai K, Ponnusamy E, Cheng J*, Inoue M*. Induction of a higher-ordered architecture in glatiramer acetate improves its biological efficiency in an animal model of multiple sclerosis. Biomaterials Science. 8(19):5271-81, 2020.
- Sivaguru M*, Khaw YM, Inoue M*. A Confocal Reflection Super-Resolution Technique to Image Golgi-Cox Stained Neurons. Journal of microscopy. Aug;275(2):115-30, 2020.
- Kanayama M, Xu S, Danzaki K, Gboson JR, Inoue M, Gregory S, Shinohara M. Skewing the population balance between lymphoid and myeloid cells by osteopontin isoforms. Nat Immunol. 18: 973-984, 2017
- Singh N, Inoue M, Osawa R, Wagener MM, Shinohara ML. Inflammasome expression and cytomegalovirus viremia in critically ill patients with sepsis. J Clin Virol. 93:8-14, 2017
- Inoue M, Chen PH, Siecinski S, Li QJ, Liu C, Steinman L, Gregory SG, Benner E, Shinohara ML. An interferon-ß- resistant and inflammasome-independent subtype of EAE with neuronal damage. Nat Neurosci. 19:1599-1609, 2016.