Primary AffiliationArtificial Intelligence for Materials
Status Affiliate Faculty
Home Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
BASc., University of Waterloo, 2011
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2017
2022: Center for Advanced Study, Fellow
2021: International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE) Elsevier Prize for Green Electrochemistry
2020: ACS Victor K. LaMer Award
2020: RCSA Scialog Fellow
2019: National Science Foundation CAREER Award
2019: Illinois Water Resources Center Fellow
2018: Whakapukahatanga Taiao Research Fellow, University of Auckland
2016- 2017: Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) Catalyst Award
2016: MIT Water Innovation Prize
2016: MIT Veraqua Prize
2016: ACS Langmuir Student Oral Presentation Award
2011-2014: Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Doctoral Fellowship
- N. Kim, J. Jeon, J. Elbert, C. Kim, X. Su. Redox-mediated Electrochemical Desalination for Waste Valorization in Dairy Production. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2022, 428, 131082.
- H. Vapnik, J. Elbert, X. Su. Redox-Copolymers for the Recovery of Rare-Earth Elements by Electrochemically-Regenerated Ion Exchange. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2021, 9, 20068-20077.
- K. Kim, D. Raymond, R. Candeago, X. Su. Selective cobalt and nickel electrodeposition for lithium-ion battery recycling through integrated electrolyte and interface control. Nature Communications, 2021, 12, 6554.
- R. Chen, J. Feng, J. Jeon, T. Sheehan, C. Ruttiger, M. Gallei, D. Shukla, X. Su. Structure and Potential-Dependent Selectivity in Redox-Metallopolymers: Electrochemically Mediated Multicomponent Metal Separations. Advanced Functional Materials, 2021, 31 (15), 2009307.
- K. Kim, S. Cotty, J. Elbert, R. Chen, C.H. Hou, X. Su. Asymmetric Redox-Polymer Interfaces for Electrochemical Reactive Separations: Synergistic Capture and Conversion of Arsenic. Advanced Materials, 2019. Early View: https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201906877 [Highlighted as Inside Front Cover]
- X. Su, A. Kushima, C. Halliday, J. Zhou, J. Li, T. A. Hatton. Electrochemically-mediated selective capture of heavy metal chromium and arsenic oxyanions from water. Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 4701.
- X. Su, and T.A. Hatton, “Redox-electrodes for selective electrochemical separations,” Advances in Colloid & Interface Science, 2017, State-of-Art Perspective, 244, 6-20.
- X. Su, K.J. Tan, J. Elbert, C. Ruttiger, M. Gallei, T.F. Jamison, and T.A. Hatton, “Asymmetric Faradaic systems for selective electrochemical separations,” Energy & Environmental Science, 2017, 10, 1272-1283.
- X. Su, L. Bromberg, K.J. Tan, T.F. Jamison, L.K. Padhye, T.A. Hatton, “Electrochemically Mediated Reduction of Nitrosamines by Hemin-Functionalized Redox Electrodes," Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 2017, 4 (4), 161-167.
- X. Su, L. Bromberg, V. Martis, F. Simeon, A. Huq, T.A. Hatton. Post-synthetic Functionalization of Mg-MOF-74 with Tetraethylenepentamine: Structural Characterization and Enhanced CO2 Adsorption. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9 (12), 11299-11306.
- X. Su, H. Kulik, T.F. Jamison, and T.A. Hatton, “Anion-selective redox electrodes: electrochemically-mediated separation with organometallic interfaces,” Advanced Functional Materials. 2016, 26(20), 3394-3404. [Highlighted as back-cover]
- Bromberg, X. Su, and T.A. Hatton, “Functional networks of organic and coordination polymers for Fructose Conversion,” Chemistry of Materials, 2014, 26 (21), 6257-6264.
- Kozak, J. Wu, X. Su, F. Simeon, T.A. Hatton, and T.F. Jamison, “ Bromine-Catalyzed Conversion of CO2 and Epoxides to Cyclic Carbonates under Continuous Flow Conditions,” Journal of American Chemical Society, 2013, 135 (49), 18497–18501.