Primary AffiliationMolecular Design and Engineering
Professor Jain received his B.Tech. from the Institute of Chemical Technology in Mumbai, India in 2003 and his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Georgia Tech in 2008. During 2008, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard and from 2009-2011 a Miller Fellow at UC Berkeley. He joined the University of Illinois faculty as an Assistant Professor in Fall 2011. He has affiliations with the Materials Research Lab, the Department of Physics and the Beckman Institute. His research interests are in nano-optics and molecular imaging with the goal of understanding and controlling energy transport, light-matter interactions, and chemical transformations on nanometer length scales.
2017: Kavli Emerging Leader in Chemistry and Lecturer ACS, American Vacuum Society Prairie Chapter Early Career Award, UIUC Campus Distinguished Promotion Award, I. C. Gunsalus Scholar; 2016: UIUC Center for Advanced Studies Beckman Fellow; 2015: NSF CAREER Award, Journal of Physical Chemistry C Lectureship, 3M Nontenured Faculty Award; 2014: Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Young Investigator Award, ACS/PRF Doctoral New Investigator; 2013: DuPont Young Professor, Unilever Award for Outstanding Young Investigator, ACS Colloid and Surface Chemistry Division, US Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering Educate-to-Innovate Program Innovator, Golden Jubilee Visiting Fellowship, Institute of Chemical Technology, IChemE Energy Award, Highly Commended Technology, Google Solve for [X] Moonshot Thinkers/Speakers; 2012: MIT Technology Review TR35, IACAT Faculty Fellow.
TEACHING HONORS: 2015 SCS Faculty Teaching Award, UIUC List of Teachers Ranked Excellent by their Students (multiple times in 2012-16 for all four courses taught), Graduated four Ph.D. students and one master's student.
Catalysis: Atomistic elucidation of heterogeneous catalysts and photocatalysts by super-resolution imaging
Plasmonics: Using plasmonics for artificial photosynthesis and optical probing of chemical reactions
Solid-State Chemistry: Understanding phase transitions for designing new materials for batteries and sorbents
- J. G. Smith, X. Zhang, and P. K. Jain. Galvanic reactions at the single-nanoparticle level: Tuning between mechanistic extremes link. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, DOI:10.1039/C7TA03302H, in press, (2017). Article Invited for 2017 Emerging Investigators issue.
- S. L. White, P. Banerjee, and P. K. Jain. Liquid-like cationic sub-lattice in copper selenide clusters link. Nature Communications, 8, 14514, DOI:10.1038/ncomms14514, (2017).
- Y. Kim, A. J. Wilson, and P. K. Jain. The nature of plasmonically assisted hot electron transfer in a donor-bridge-acceptor complex link. ACS Catalysis, in press, DOI:10.1021/acscatal.7b01318, (2017).
- G. K. Joshi, S. L. White, M. A. Johnson, R. Sardar, and P. K. Jain. Ultrashort, angstrom-scale decay of surface enhanced Raman scattering at hot spots. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120 (43), 24973-24981, (2016).
- J. G. Smith, I. Chakraborty, P. K. Jain, In situ single-nanoparticle spectroscopy study of bimetallic nanostructure formation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201604710 (2016).
- J. G. Smith, P. K. Jain, Kinetics of self-assembled monolayer formation on individual nanoparticles, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, DOI:10.1039/c6cp03915d (2016).
- J. G. Smith, P. K. Jain, The ligand shell as an energy barrier in surface reactions on transition metal nanoparticles, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 138, 6765-6773 (2016).
- K.-K. Liu, S. Tadepalli, G. Kumari, P. Banerjee, L. Tian, P. K. Jain, S. Singamaneni, Polarization-dependent surface enhanced Raman scattering activity of anisotropic plasmonic nanorattles, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120, 16899-16906 (2016).
- S. L. White, P. Banerjee, I. Chakraborty, and P. K. Jain. Ion exchange transformation of magic-sized clusters. Chemistry of Materials, 28 (22), 8391-8398, (2016).
- X. Li, C. Xiao, T. W. Goh, A. L. D. Stanton, Y. Pei, P. K. Jain, W. Huang, Synthesis of monodisperse palladium nanoclusters using metal-organic frameworks as sacrificial templates, ChemNanoMat, DOI:10.1002/cnma.201600121 (2016).
- Y. Kim, D. Dumett, P. K. Jain, Activation energies in plasmonic catalysis, Nano Letters, 16, 3399–3407 (2016).
- A. Fang, S. L. White, P. K. Jain, F. P. Zamborini, Regio-selective plasmonic coupling in meta-molecular analogs of benzene derivatives, Nano Letters, 15, 542-548 (2015).
- A. Fang, S. L. White, R. A. Masitas, F. P. Zamborini, P. K. Jain, One-to-one correlation between structure and optical response in a heterogeneous distribution of plasmonic constructs, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 119, 24086-24094 (2015).
- A. L. Routzahn, P. K. Jain, Luminescence blinking of a reacting quantum dot, Nano Letters, 15, 2504-2509 (2015).
- J. G. Smith, J. A. Faucheaux, and P. K. Jain, Plasmon resonances for solar energy harvesting: A mechanistic outlook, Nano Today, 10, 67-80 (2015).
- M. Behl, P. K. Jain, Catalytic activation of a solid oxide in electronic contact with Au nanoparticles, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 54, 992-997 (2015).
- A. L. Routzahn, P. K. Jain, Single-nanocrystal reaction trajectories reveal sharp co-operative transitions, Nano Letters, 14, 987 (2014).
- J. A. Faucheaux, A. L. D. Stanton, P. K. Jain, Plasmon resonances of semiconductor nanocrystals: Physical principles and new opportunities, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 5, 976 (2014).
- J. A. Faucheaux, J. Fu, P. K. Jain, Unified theoretical framework for realizing diverse regimes of strong coupling between plasmons and electronic transitions, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118, 2710 (2014).
- J. G. Smith, Q. Yang, P. K. Jain, Identification of a critical intermediate in galvanic exchange reactions by single-nanoparticle resolved kinetics, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 53, 2867 (2014).
- P. K. Jain, Gold Nanoparticles in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology: Book Review, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 53, 1197 (2014).
- P. K. Jain, Plasmon-in-a-box: On the physical nature of few-carrier plasmon resonances, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 5, 3112 (2014).
- C. Deeb, X. Zhou, J. Plain, G. Wiederrecht, R. Bachelot, M. J. Russell, and P. K. Jain, Size-dependence of the plasmonic near-field measured via single-nanoparticle photochemical imaging, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 10669 (2013).
- J. A. Faucheaux, P. K. Jain, Plasmons in photocharged ZnO nanocrystals revealing dynamics of charge carriers, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 4, 3024 (2013).
- J. B. Rivest and P. K. Jain, Cation exchange on the nanoscale: An emerging technique for new material synthesis, device fabrication, and chemical sensing, Chemical Society Reviews, 42, 89 (2013).
- M. Polking, P. K. Jain, Y. Bekenstein, U. Banin, O. Millo, R. Ramesh, and A. Paul Alivisatos, Infrared absorption measurements of amorphous and crystalline GeTe nanoparticles: Evidence for surface plasmon resonances in the crystalline phase, Physical Review Letters, 111, 037401 (2013).
- P. K. Jain, K. Manthiram, J. H. Engel, S. L. White, J. A. Faucheaux, A. P. Alivisatos, Doped semiconductor nanocrystals as plasmonic probes of redox chemistry, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 52, 13671 (2013).
- S. White, J. G. Smith, M. Behl, P. K. Jain, Co-operativity in nanocrystalline solid-state transformation, Nature Communications, 4, 2933 (2013).
- A. L. Routzahn, S. L. White, L.-K. Fong, P. K. Jain, Plasmonics with doped quantum dots, Israel Journal of Chemistry, Invited article in special issue on Nanochemistry, 52, 983, (2012).
- M. Behl, J. Yeom, Q. Lineberry, P. K. Jain, M. A. Shannon, A regenerable oxide-based hydrogen sulphide adsorbent with nanofibrous morphology, Nature Nanotechnology, 7, 810 (2012).