Primary AffiliationAutonomous Materials Systems
Randy H. Ewoldt is a professor and Kritzer Faculty Scholar in the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering and an affiliate faculty member at the Materials Research Laboratory. He completed his postdoctoral research at the University of Minnesota, and in 2018 he was a Guest Professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich. He regularly lectures at rheology short courses in the U.S. and Europe.
- B.S., mechanical engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- M.S., mechanical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- Ph.D., mechanical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
2021: Journal of Rheology Publication Award
2021: Dean's Award for Excellence in Research for Associate Professor, Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2017: Presidential Early Career Award for Science and Engineering (PECASE)
2016: Dean's Award for Research Excellence, Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2014: Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, The Society of Rheology
2014: NSF-CAREER Award
2014: 3M Nontenured Faculty Award
2014: DuPont Young Professor Award
Computation and applied math
Health and biology
Security and defense
Solid mechanics and materials
Thermo and heat transfer
Ewoldt conducts fundamental research in fluid mechanics, rheology, and soft matter. His work often involves interdisciplinary collaborations and is a combination of experiment and theory. Complex fluids are ubiquitous in nature and in man-made applications and therefore research extends from bioengineering to manufacturing and robotics.
- Ewoldt & Saengow, “Designing Complex Fluids,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics (2022). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-031821-104935
- Bharadwaj, N. A., J. G. Kang, M. C. Hatzell, P. V. Braun, and R. H. Ewoldt, Integration of colloids into a semi-flexible network of fibrin, Soft Matter, 13(7), 1430-1443 (2017).
- Abdeen, A. A., J. Lee, N. A. Bharadwaj, R. H. Ewoldt, and K. A. Kilian, Temporal Modulation of Stem Cell Activity using Magnetoactive Hydrogels. Advanced Healthcare Materials, early view article (2016).
- Blackwell, B. C. and R. H. Ewoldt, Non-integer asymptotic scaling of a thixotropic-viscoelastic model in large-amplitude oscillatory shear. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 227, 80-89 (2016).
- Blackwell, B. C., A. E. Nadhan, and R. H. Ewoldt, Impacts of yield-stress fluid drops on permeable meshes. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 238, 107-114 (2016).
- Corbin, E., Adeniba, O., Ewoldt, R. H., Bashir, R., Dynamic Mechanical Measurements of the Viscosity of Single Adherent Cells. Applied Physics Letters, 2016. 108, 093701.
- Corman, R. E., L. Rao, N. A. Bharadwaj, J. T. Allison, and R. H. Ewoldt, Setting Material Function Design Targets for Linear Viscoelastic Materials and Structures. Journal of Mechanical Design, 38(5), 051402 (2016).
- Ewoldt, R. H., Predictions for the northern coast of the shear rheology map: XXLAOS. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 798, 1-4 (2016).
- Schuh, J. K. and R. H. Ewoldt, Asymmetric surface textures decrease friction with Newtonian fluids in full film lubricated sliding contact. Tribology International, 97, 490-498 (2016).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, Single-point parallel disk correction for medium-amplitude oscillatory shear. Rheologica Acta, 54(3), 223-233 (2015).
- Blackwell, B. C., M. E. Deetjen, J. E. Gaudio, and R. H. Ewoldt, Sticking and splashing in yield-stress fluid droplet impacts on coated surfaces. Physics of Fluids, 27(4), 043101 (2015).
- Freund, J. B. and R. H. Ewoldt, Quantitative rheological model selection: good fits versus credible models using Bayesian inference. Journal of Rheology, 59(3), 667-701 (2015).
- Johnston, M. T., W. P. King, and R. H. Ewoldt, Shear stress characteristics of microtextured surfaces in gap-controlled hydrodynamic lubrication. Tribology International, 82, 123-132 (2015).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, Constitutive model fingerprints in medium-amplitude oscillatory shear. Journal of Rheology, 59(2), 557-592 (2015).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, The general low-frequency prediction for asymptotically-nonlinear material functions in oscillatory shear. Journal of Rheology, 58(4), 891-910 (2014).
- Blackwell, B. C. and R. H. Ewoldt, A simple thixotropic-viscoelastic constitutive model produces unique signatures in large-amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOS). Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 208, 27-41 (2014).
- Ewoldt, R. H., Extremely soft: Design with rheologically-complex fluids. Soft Robotics, 1(1) 12-20 (2014) (Invited review for inaugural issue).
- Ewoldt, R. H. and N. A. Bharadwaj, Low-Dimensional Intrinsic Material Functions for Nonlinear Viscoelasticity. Rheologica ACTA, 52(3), 201-219 (2013).
- Ewoldt, R.H., Defining Nonlinear Rheological Material Functions for Oscillatory Shear. Journal of Rheology, 57(1) 177–195 (2013).
- Felts, JR; Somnath, S; Ewoldt, RH; King, WP,Nanometer-scale flow of molten polyethylene from a heated atomic force microscope tip. Nanotechnology, 2012, 23 (21), 215301. DOI:10.1088/0957-4484/23/21/215301.