This page lists the full application instructions. If you still have questions after reading through this page, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
The following items must be submitted no later than 5:00 PM Central Time on Monday, November 25, 2019. Late or multiple submissions will not be accepted. Selected Fellows will be announced in late March 2020.
(1) Fill Out Application Form
Applicants must fill out the online application form. The form also allows for the electronic submission of your supporting documents (Curriculum Vitae, Research Plan, Representative Paper).
The Application Form is currently closed.
(2) Curriculum Vitae
The Curriculum Vitae must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file and uploaded with the application form as described above.
(3) Research and Development Plan
Upload ONE PDF document that consists of your plan plus references. Your plan should be organized as shown below and should be a maximum of five pages, plus any number of additional pages for your list of references/bibliography.
- Introduction – 500 words maximum describing your general research area.
- Objectives and Significance – One page maximum on your research plan for your time at Beckman, and why these research objectives are important. This section may include background literature discussion and explanation of hypothesis, problem statement, and/or technological goals.
Research and Development Plan – Two pages maximum on your work plan for your next 3 years at the Beckman Institute.
This section should include:
- a description of the research activities that you intend to accomplish (e.g., methods, data collection, modeling and simulation, experiments, analyses)
- a description of the related broader impact activities that you intend to accomplish (e.g., educational outreach, community engagement, museum exhibit design, artistic collaborations, science journalism, science policy development)
- an explanation of how this plan helps you develop your career; the research plan should act as your own individual development plan.
- Innovation – One page maximum on why your prior training and proposed research and development plan is innovative and creates new collaborations or strengthens existing collaborations at the Beckman Institute.
- Relevance – 500 words maximum on why the Beckman Institute is the best home for your research and development plan.
- Bibliography/References (not part of the five-page limit) - List of peer-reviewed papers cited in your research and development plan.
(4) Representative Paper
If you have published, submit only one article.
If you have not published, submit one introductory or representative chapter. An extended abstract of your dissertation (not to exceed five pages) may be substituted.
Do not submit additional articles or chapters; only one will be passed on to the selection committee.
The Representative Paper must be submitted as an Adobe PDF and uploaded with the application form as described above.
(5) Letters of Reference
Names, addresses, telephone and email contact information from your four references: two people who can write letters about your prior work experience, and two Illinois faculty members who will be your mentors/collaborators during your time at Beckman, with one or both of these Illinois faculty members being a part-time or full-time member of the Beckman Institute.
The Beckman Institute will not request letters on your behalf. Please request letters of recommendation from your references and ask they email their letters as an Adobe PDF file to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows programs. If you still have questions after reading through this page and the Frequently Asked Questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.