Issue 57: September 2013
Summer Synergy Now Available
The latest edition of Synergy features Blue Waters, the new supercomputer that Klaus Schulten used to create a map of the HIV capsid. It also highlights the Chambana Science Café, and showcases new Beckman employee Curtis Johnson, a group of students who conducted research at Beckman over the summer, new postdoctoral fellows, and Kirby Vandivort's trip to Italy. Read more at http://go.illinois.edu/synergy
You can subscribe to our mailing list for Synergy and to receive updates on when the Beckman annual report is available on our subscription page: http://beckman.illinois.edu/news/subscribe.
Congratulations to Beckman Faculty
The following Beckman faculty members were recently promoted.
- Tim Bretl—promoted to associate professor
- Gabriel Popescu— promoted to associate professor
- Ryan Shosted— promoted to associate professor
Welcome to New Beckman Faculty and Staff
- Andrew Nnoung, Business/Administrative Associate (Business Office)
- Se Hye Kim, Postdoctoral Research Associate (J. Moore)
- Antonio Chiarelli, Postdoctoral Research Associate (M. Fabiani)
- Denise Taylor, Research Project Manager (S. Schantz)
- Synthia Lane, Research Coordinator (S. Schantz)
- Ann Hart, Research Project Coordinator (S. Schantz)
- Daniel Sabri Dashti, Postdoctoral Research Associate (E. Tajkhorshid)
- Bin Liang, Visiting Scholar (L. Yin)
- Leszek Kalinowski, Visiting Scholar (W. Dobrucki)
Congratulations to the following Beckman investigators who received grant funding during the period of August 1, 2013 – September 4, 2013:
- PACT II: Portable Adaptive Cognitive Training. (PI: A. Kramer; Sponsor: Office of Naval Research)
- Technical Testing. (PI: Scott Robinson; Sponsor: Georgia Pacific Consumer Products)
- Hierarchical Feature Learning by Heterogeneous Networks with Application to Face Verification. (PI: T. Huang; Sponsor: NSF)
- US-French Collaboration: Computational Imaging of the Aging Cereberal Microvasculature.
- (PI: B. Sutton; Sponsor: NIH)
- Seeded Reaction Waves in Composites: Fast Structure-Transforming Materials that Respond to Energetic Stimuli. (PI: J. Moore; Sponsor: DOD-ONR)
- Reading in the Wild: The Adaptive Nature of Adult Literacy (PI: E. Stine-Morrow; Sponsor: NSF)
- Novel Methods to Assess Effects on Child Development (PI: S. Schantz; Sponsor: NIH)
Photo Shoot September 18 and 19
New to Beckman? Been here a while but tired of your old directory photo? Sign up soon to get a professional photo taken the afternoon of September 18 or the morning of September 19. It will only take 5 MINUTES and you will have a professional photo to use in the Beckman directory and elsewhere. Visit http://doodle.com/vkbi9fbkgqcvxycp to choose your time slot.
- External Advisory Committee visit -- October 30 – November 1, 2013
- The Director's Seminar Series kicks off September 19 with a talk by Cynthia Fisher on “Learning Words and Syntax: The Origins of Sentence Comprehension.” See the complete schedule.
- Thursdays @12:20 concerts begin on October 10 with a performance by Noel Wan on harp. See the complete schedule.
Making a poster? Preparing a Powerpoint for a presentation? Check the Communications resources site for templates that might make your life a bit easier.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the Institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and feature stories on our research programs.
September 9, 2013