2012 GRADUATE FELLOWS ANNOUNCED
Ten outstanding students were selected as Beckman Institute Graduate Student Fellows. They will begin their fellowships during the Fall 2012 semester. The selected students are listed below with their home departments in parenthesis, followed by the Beckman Institute faculty members they will be working with during their fellowship:
- Adrienne Barry (Biochemistry); working with Deborah Leckband and Peter Wang
- Alexandru Iordan (Neuroscience); working with Florin Dolcos , Neal Cohen, and Alejandro Lleras
- Curtis Johnson (Mechanical Science and Engineering); working with John Geordiadis, Brad Sutton, William Olivero, and John Wang
- Fan Lam (Electrical and Computer Engineering); working with Zhi-Pei Liang and Brad Sutton
- James Monti (Psychology); working with Neal Cohen, Ed McAuley, and Art Kramer
- Martina Mustroph (Neuroscience); working with Justin Rhodes and Jonathan Sweedler
- Chaitanya Sathe (Electrical and Computer Engineering); working with Klaus Schulten, Jean-Pierre Leburton, and Rashid Bashir
- John Soileau (Anthropology); working with Jesse Ribot, Thomas Bassett, and Ashwini Chhatre
- Hang Xing (Chemistry); working with Stephen Boppart, Jianjun Cheng, and William Helferich
- Josh Wood (Electrical and Computer Engineering); working with Joe Lyding and Rashid Bashir
STEPHEN BOPPART HONORED WITH HANS SIGRIST AWARD
Integrative Imaging Co-Chair, Stephen Boppart, has been honored with the Hans Sigrist Award, an international prize presented annually to a distinguished scientist in a selected field. The Hans-Sigrist Foundation established the award at the University of Bern, Switzerland, to promote scientific research. Boppart will receive the honor during a ceremony at the University of Bern in December.
IMAGING AT ILLINOIS CONFERENCE SET FOR TOMORROW
The Imaging at Illinois: The Next Generation conference will be tomorrow, June 1, 2012. This conference will highlight biological, biomedical, computational, and chemical imaging. This year the conference will be specifically focused on encouraging research innovation and education in younger researchers.
BARBEY NOW PART-TIME FACULTY MEMBER
Aron Barbey is now a part-time faculty member in the Cognitive Neuroscience group. He previously held affiliate status. He is a professor in the departments of Speech and Hearing Science and Psychology.
ROGERS PROJECT RECEIVES GATES FOUNDATION GRANT
John Rogers of the 3D Micro- and Nanosystems group and former Beckman faculty member Todd Coleman are among the recipients of a cutting-edge global health grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Their project using a temporary electronic tattoo for health monitoring of pregnant women was awarded funding as part of the Foundation’s Grand Challenges in Global Health initiative.
Congratulations to the following investigators who have received grant funding during the period of April 18, 2012 – May 24, 2012:
- Non-destructive chemical analysis of whole grain components using transmission raman spectroscopy: a pilot study (PI: R. Bhargava; Sponsor: Dow Agrosciences LLC)
- Surface directed molecular transport, separation, and concentration (PI: P. Braun; Sponsor: DOD-DTRA)
Please welcome the following new hires to the Beckman Institute:
- Ana de Medeiros, Visiting Scholar (A. Kramer)
- Loan Vo, Visiting Scholar (A. Kramer)