Communication from the Director
Issue 25: October 2010
BECKMAN DISTINGUISHED LECTURE TO FEATURE TIM TULLY
Dr. Tim Tully, Chief Science Officer of Dart Neuroscience LLC will present a Beckman Institute Distinguished Lecture on Monday, November 1, 2010 at 10 a.m. in the second floor tower room (2269). His talk is “Memory Enhancers and Mental Retardation.”
CO-FOUNDER OF NUMENTA AND FOUNDER OF PALM TO PRESENT SMITHGROUP LECTURE
Jeff Hawkins, co-founder of Numenta and founder of Palm and Handspring, will present the annual SmithGroup lecture at the Beckman Institute on Friday, November 12 at 11 a.m. in the Beckman Auditorium. His talk will be “Advances in Modeling Neocortex and Its Impact on Machine Intelligence.”
HUANG RECEIVES NSF GRANT TO ADVANCE CLOUD COMPUTING
Beckman faculty member Tom Huang (HCII/IFP) and a team of his students have garnered a National Science Foundation grant to develop a system that could make cloud computing more efficient and easier to use. Huang and his students received an Early-Concept Grant for Exploratory Research (EAGER) from the NSF to develop an efficient search algorithm toward applications in cloud computing.
ZHONG RECEIVES NIH NEW INNOVATOR AWARD
Beckman faculty member Sheng Zhong (IntIm/BST) has been chosen to receive the New Innovator Award from the National Institutes of Health. Zhong is an assistant professor in bioengineering and his proposal was titled, “Rewirable gene regulatory networks in the pre-implantation of embryonic development of three mammalian species,” reflects his research group’s efforts to model the evolution of gene regulation and animal development.
GRANT AWARDED TO DEVELOP NEW DIAGNOSTIC APPROACH TO PROSTATE CANCER
Beckman researcher Rohit Bhargava (IntIm/BST) led a successful effort that secured a grant from the National Institutes of Health to develop a new diagnostic approach for prostate cancer.
BECKMAN RESEARCHERS RECEIVE NSF MRI AWARD
Jeff Moore, Nancy Sottos, Ralph Nuzzo, John Rogers, and Rohit Bhargava are co-principal investigators on a National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation award that will bring a new confocal Raman microscope to the Beckman Institute’s Microscopy Suite. Key research areas that will benefit from this microscope include self-healing systems, multi-functional polymers, electronic materials, and cells and tissues. This instrument will be the only of its kind on the University of Illinois campus.
Congratulations to the following investigators who have received grant funding during the period of September 16 – October 15, 2010:
- Microanalysis of Materials Imaging Technology and Biological Support (PI: S. Robinson; Sponsor: CERL)
- MRI: Acquisition of a Confocal Raman Microscope for Non-destructive Imaging of Complex Heterogeneous Materials (PI: J. Moore; Sponsor: NSF)
- Technical Testing Agreement (PI: S. Robinson; Sponsor: Abbot)
- Facilities Use Agreement (PI: S. Robinson; Sponsor: USDA)
- 3D Endomicroscopy Using Optical Coherence Tomography Toward Multimodal Imaging (PI: S. Boppart; Sponsor: Samsung)
- CRCNS: fMRI Pattern Analysis of Neural Correlates of Natural Scene Categories (PI: D. Beck; Sponsor: NIH
- Intraoperative OCT for Determining Lymph Node Status and Staging Cancer (PI: S. Boppart; Sponsor: NIH)
- Age Differences in Resource Allocation During Reading (PI: E. Stine-Morrow; Sponsor: NIH)
Please welcome the following new hires to the Beckman Institute:
- Jiading Gai, Postdoctoral Research Associate (B. Sutton)
- Aminda O’Hare, Postdoctoral Research Associate (F. Dolcos)
- Dong Hyun Kim, Postdoctoral Research Associate (P. Braun)
- Shuai Zheng, Postdoctoral Research Associate (Y. Wang)
- Ioan Kosztin, Visiting Scholar (K. Schulten)
- LeLe Li, Postdoctoral Research Associate (Y. Lu)
- Paris Smaragdis, Part-time Faculty (HCII/AI)
- Maya Dank, Visiting Scholar (K. Bock)
- Yijing Zhang, Visiting Scholar (A. Kirlik)
- Ashley Trimmell, Coordinator of Research Programs (AMS)
- Li Wang, Visiting Scholar (S. Levinson)
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website www.beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the Institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and feature stories on our research programs.
October 20, 2010