Communication from the Director
Issue 26: November 2010
JOIN US FOR THE ANNUAL BECKMAN INSTITUTE HOLIDAY PARTY
You are cordially invited to our annual holiday party which will be held Friday, December 17 from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. in the Beckman Institute Atrium.
HELLER SELECTED TO RECEIVE THE 2010 LARINE Y. COWAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE AWARD
Wendy Heller recently received the 2010 Larine Y. Cowan Make a Difference Award for her remarkable leadership and commitment to diversity at Illinois. In an awards ceremony on Nov. 10 Heller received the award which cites her advocacy for underrepresented staff and students at Illinois, her efforts in addressing the need for diversity on campus, and her active collaboration with the Division of Disability Resources (DRES).
CALLING BECKMAN BLOGGERS!
The Beckman Institute has a new way to explore your thoughts about new scientific discoveries, ask questions about research done here, and share your own work with others. The Beckman Blog will be open to the public on December 1, as a platform for students, postdoctoral researchers, and Beckman Fellows to blog about science done at the Institute and elsewhere. If you are interested, please email email@example.com with your name and Illinois NetID.
POP WINS PECASE AWARD
Eric Pop (MENS/Nano) has been named by President Barack Obama as recipient of a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE). The PECASE award is the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
BECKMAN INSTITUTE OPEN HOUSE, MARCH 11-12, 2010
We will be hosting a Beckman Institute Open House March 11-12, 2011. Please mark your calendars. The community looks forward to this event and we are hoping for participation from a wide range of our research groups, labs, and facilities. Exhibit sign-up information will be coming soon from our communications group.
Congratulations to the following investigators who have received grant funding during the period of October 16, 2010 – November 15, 2010:
- Synaptic Phenotype, Development, and Plasticity in the Fragile X Mouse (PI: C. Cox; Sponsor: NIH)
- Noninvasive Monitoring of Individualized Proangiogenic Therapy in Diabetes Melitus (PI: W. Dobrucki; Sponsor: American Heart Association)
- Perform Micro CT Analysis of UIowa Mouse Lung Samples (PI: S. Robinson; Sponsor: NIH)
Please welcome the following new hires to the Beckman Institute:
- Erqing Xu, Visiting Scholar (S. Levinson)
- Zsuzsa Gille, Affiliate Faculty (SDEP)
- Stacey McKeever, Research Program Coordinator (D. Morrow)
- Diane Davis, Office Support Specialist (M&ENS/TCB)
- Joyce Curry, Account Technician II (Business Office)
- Tracy Mathews, Account Technician I (HR)
- Ilia Solov’yov, Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow
- Malini Ranganathan, Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow
- Simon Fischer-Baum, Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website www.beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the Institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and feature stories on our research programs.
November 19, 2010