Communication from Tamer Başar, Interim Director
Issue 1: October 2008
This is the inaugural issue of a monthly bulletin from the Office of the Director to the Beckman Institute Faculty and Staff on the happenings at the Institute. It is structured as an informal exchange with brief information items, listed in no particular order. Here we go.
2007-08 ANNUAL REPORT
The 2007‐08 Beckman Institute Annual Report is now available. Printed copies are available in the Administrative Suite. The online version is available at http://beckman.illinois.edu/content/uploads/files/annual-reports/annual-report-2007-2008.pdf.
DOMAIN NAME CHANGE
The Beckman Institute Web address has now been officially switched to www.beckman.illinois.edu. The old domain (www.beckman.uiuc.edu) will continue to work for some time, but the new URL should be used on any new materials or links. The Web site will continue to be your resource for news, events, and information about the Institute.
PROXIMITY CARDS REPLACED BY "I‐CARD"
The transition from the proximity cards to using the "I‐Card" to enter the outside doors as well as a contingent of inside doors associated with the centralized facilities is now complete. Thanks go to Mike Smith's group, including the security staff, for making it a smooth transition.
NEW FACULTY & STAFF (alphabetical listing)
I welcome the following faculty and staff who have recently joined our Beckman Institute Community:
- Rashid Bashir (Affiliate Faculty Computational Multiscale Nanosystems), Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Stephanie Ceman (Part‐time Faculty, NeuroTech), Medical Cell and Structural Biology
- Jacob Eisenstein (Beckman Institute Fellow)
- Jeremy Horton (Beckman Café Attendant)
- Ming Hsu (Full‐time Faculty, Cognitive Neuroscience), Economics
- Denise Lewis (Administration, Space Reservations)
- Harley Johnson (Part‐time Faculty, Computational Multiscale Nanosystems), Mechanical Science and Engineering
- Agustín Mihi (Beckman Institute Fellow)
- Amy Shih (Beckman Institute Fellow)
- Douglas Simpson (Affiliate Faculty, Bioacoustics Research Laboratory), Statistics
- Sharon Tettagah (Part‐time, Cognitive Neuroscience), Curriculum and Instruction
- Joel Voss (Beckman Institute Fellow)
- Michael Walsh (Carle Foundation Hospital‐Beckman Institute Fellow)
- John Wang (Part‐time Faculty, Bioimaging Science and Technology), Surgery
NEW RESEARCH GRANTS
Congratulations to our investigators who have recently been awarded research grants. The list below covers the period July 1 through September 5, 2008.
- EMT/BSSE Synthetic Biological Integrated Circuits for Computing (PI: G. Timp; Sponsor: NSF)
- Sequencing a DNA Molecule Using a Synthetic Nanopore (PI: G. Timp; Sponsor: NIH)
- Some Machine Learning Issues in Soft Biometrics (PI: T. Huang; Sponsor: Yamaha Motors)
- NNEDC‐National Inst for Nanoengineering (NINE) (PI: P. Braun; Sponsor: Sandia National Laboratory)
- Influence of Fitness on Brain and Cognition (PI: A. Kramer; Sponsor: NIH)
- Self‐Assembly of 3‐D Multifunctional Ceramic Composites for Photonics and Sensors (PI: P. Braun; Sponsor: ARO)
- FODAVA‐Partner: Visualizing Audio for Anomaly Detection (PI: M. Hasegawa‐ Johnson; Sponsor: NSF)
FALL 2008 SYNERGY
The Fall 2008 Synergy is now available online: http://beckman.illinois.edu/news/publications/synergy/fall-2008
BECKMAN INSTITUTE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SYMPOSIUM: OCTOBER 5-7, 2009
The 20th Anniversary planning committee has been hard at work putting together the program of the symposium, as well as identifying and contacting potential speakers. Be sure to mark your calendar for this exciting event in Fall 2009.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, our website www.beckman.illinois.edu will continue to post in a timely manner all the important happenings in the institute involving our faculty, fellows, and graduate and undergraduate student researchers, their accomplishments, recognitions, and featured stories on our research programs.
October 16, 2008