Installing the printers
- Click the Windows Start button. For Windows 8, move the mouse cursor to the bottom or top right corner of the screen and select the icon for Search.
\\print.beckman.illinois.eduin the search box and press Enter.
- When prompted for a login and password, enter UOFI\<yourNetid> and your campus Active Directory password. For example, if your netid is abcd5678, you would type UOFI\abcd5678 for your username (without the quotes).
- Check the save your login information box and click OK.
- Double click on the icon of the desired printer to begin installing the printer; if you are unsure of which printer, refer to the Printers table below.
- A printing status box will appear indicating that the installation is complete.
Mac OS X v10.9 and later
- Download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.
Open your Keychain and delete any existing entries for Beckman Printers.
- Keychain Access is found in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
- Look for any entry including "bi-print" or "Public" and delete that entry.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Printers & Scanners from the preferences pane or the View menu.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press and hold the CTRL key while clicking the Default icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the context menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Click the Advanced (gear) icon that was added to the toolbar.
- Choose Windows printer via spools from the Type drop-down menu.
- In the URL field, type the printer's address as follows, replacing printername with the printer/queue Name you wish to use: smb://print.beckman.illinois.edu/printername
- In the Name field, type the name of the printer. See table below.
- Choose the appropriate printer driver by clicking Choose a Driver… in the Use field, then click Select Software… from the drop-down menu.
When the Printer Software window appears type:
- MFP M680 if you wish to install PUBLIC1 or PUBLIC4.
CM6040if you wish to install PUBLIC2, PUBLIC3, or PUBLIC5.
Z6800if you wish to install Poster2, which uses satin finish paper.
Click to select the proper printer driver.
- HP Color LaserJet MFP M680 for PUBLIC1 or PUBLIC4.
- HP Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP for PUBLIC2, PUBLIC3, or PUBLIC5.
- HP DesignJet Z6800ps Photo for Poster2, which uses satin finish paper.
- Click OK.
- Click Add.
Ensure additional settings are as follows:
HP Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP:
- Optional Tray: HP 3 x 500-sheet paper feeder
- Printer Disk: Installed
- Duplex Unit: box checked
- Accessory Output Bins: HP 3-Bin Stapler/Stacker-Function Separator Mode
- Paper Matching: Prompt User for correct size
HP Color LaserJet MFP M680
- Tray 3: HP 500-Sheet Input Tray
- Tray 4: Not Installed
- Tray 5: Not Installed
- HP 3-Bin Stapler/Stacker: Function Separator Mode
- HP Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP:
- No additional settings required
- Multifunction printers:
- Click OK to finish the installation.
- Attempt to print a document. Note: The document may fail to print.
- If the document fails to print, click Resume.
- When prompted for a login and password, enter UofI\yourNetid and your campus Active Directory password. For example, if your netid is abcd5678, you would type in UofI\abcd5678 for your username. You may wish to save the password in your Keychain.
- If you are not prompted for a login or you get an authentication error, refer to step 2 above to remove existing Keychain entries. Then click Resume on the print queue again. You should now be prompted for login information.
List of Printers
|PUBLIC1||1st floor, Room 1215||HP MFP M680|
|PUBLIC2||2nd floor, Room 2267||HP CM6040|
|PUBLIC3||3rd floor, Room 3267||HP CM6040|
|PUBLIC4||4th floor, Room 4267||HP MFP M680|
|PUBLIC5||5th floor, Room 5267||HP CM6040|
|PUBLIC-secure||All Public Printers||HP CM6040|
|POSTER2||5th floor, Room 5319||HP DesignJet Z6800ps|
Each multifunctional printing unit is equipped with a card reader that allows you to use your i-card to log in. This allows you access to the email and copying features on the unit. You may also use your i-card for secure printing.
The Beckman Public Printing System offers the ability to print confidential or sensitive documents securely. Choosing to print securely sends a document to the secure queue. Rather than printing immediately, the user must first log in to the printer and release the job manually.
- Install the secure version of the printer you wish to use; use this print queue when secure printing.
- At the printer, select the option Equitrac Follow You.
- Log in to the printer by scanning your I-Card.
- Touch the box next to the job to be released; a checkmark should appear.
- Select Print. The command may take several seconds to process.