This page provides instructions to print a poster yourself. If you would prefer to have ITS staff print your poster, please see our Printing, Copying, & Scanning service page.
Glossy paper is no longer available for poster printing. We are exploring our options and will have further details in the future.
Unlike most printers, the poster printers use rolls of paper 60 inches wide by 100 feet long. Getting the document sized appropriately and oriented in the right direction will solve most problems. If you are working from a document that was not originally intended to be a poster, you will usually need to change the size of graphics and the text as well. Often, it is simpler to start a new document from scratch.
- Please note the following:
- You must register for printing before you can you use the poster printers. Please see our Printer Registration page to do so.
- It takes time to print large format documents. Although most documents will print within a half hour, due to occasionally high volume, please allow up to 24 hours for your document to print.
- You can check the status of your poster job by contacting the Help Desk.
- Although the paper is 60 inches wide, the printable area of the paper is only 59.5 inches wide. We have a paper cutter which can be used to trim any excess paper from the poster.
- Converting your document to PDF format can provide more reliable printing if you are having trouble.
- If you need assistance formatting a poster, ITS offers a poster consulting service for $40 an hour, 1 hour minimum.
Installing the Poster Printer
Please see our Printer Installation page for installation instructions.
Printing a poster on satin finish paper from Windows
- From the File menu, select Print.
- In the Print window, from the Printer drop down menu, select Poster2 for satin finish photo paper.
- Click Properties, Printer Properties, or Printer Options, whichever applies to the application being used.
- On the Paper/Quality tab, select Poster under the Quick sets drop down menu.
- Select the appropriate document size. Arch E is 48 inches by 36 inches. If your poster is a different size, click Custom… and enter the dimensions. Create a descriptive name for the custom size, click Save, then OK. Ensure your new custom size is selected under Document size.
- Drag the Print Quality slider to the “Quality” end.
- On the Layout/Output tab, under Resizing options, select Fit to and choose the appropriate size to match the document size from above.
- Under Rotation, select the appropriate setting to ensure that the poster prints in the most efficient way to use the least paper. You will want the longest side to be lengthwise across the paper, as long as it is under 59.5 inches.
- Click OK.
- Ensure that the print preview looks correct and has the correct size shown.
- Click Print.
Printing a poster from Mac
- If the poster is in PowerPoint format, click File > Save As and choose the PDF format to save it as a PDF.
- Open the PDF and click File > Print.
- Choose Poster2.
- Ensure that the “Paper Size” is set correctly, and adjust if needed. Use “Manage Custom Sizes” to input the size manually if needed.
- Use the Auto Rotate checkbox to ensure the poster prints in the most efficient way to use the least paper. You will want the longest side to be lengthwise across the paper, as long as it is under 59.5 inches.
- Ensure that the preview looks correct and click Print.