- Title: Professor
- Group: Illinois Language and Literacy Initiative
- Affiliations: Cognition, Lifespan Engagement, Aging, and Resilience
- Status: Beckman Full-time Faculty
- Home: Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2061 Beckman Institute
- 405 North Mathews Avenue
- Urbana, Illinois 61801
During his 32 year AT&T Bell Labs career (after 1998, AT&T Labs) Allen specialized in nonlinear cochlear modeling, auditory and cochlear speech processing, and speech perception. While at AT&T Allen wrote more than 50 sole-authored journal articles on hearing, cochlear modeling, signal processing, room acoustics, speech perception and the articulation index (AI, a.k.a. speech transmission index (STI), Speech intelligibility index (SII)).
In 1982-1987 Allen he had primary responsibility with the development of the first commercial multiband wideband dynamic range compression (WDRC) hearing aid, later sold as the ReSound hearing aid. During this 5 years he was working closely with clinical audiologists and speech and hearing scientists, and with several hearing aid manufactures (Starkey, Phonak, Etymotic), who subsequently funded Allen's work. During this period Allen wrote the first DSP code and developed the first fitting system, based on loudness in 1/2 octave bands (LGOB) which was used by ReSound as their commercial fitting system for many years. He was also responsible for the first analog compression circuits used in the primary product, that was produced by AT&T for ReSound, at the Allentown PA silicon foundry.
Starting in 1986, Allen developed one of the first systems for non-evasively evaluating cochlear hearing using distortion produce otoacoustic emissions (DPOAEs), known as the (Cub^eDis) measurement system, which for several years (1988-1995) was commercially sold by Etymotic research, and after that by Mimosa Acoustics, for which Allen serves as the Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
From 1998-2003, while at AT&T Labs, a spin off from Bell Labs, Allen worked on Loudness and consonant perception, which is a problem closely related to AI theory.
In Aug. 2003 he joined the ECE faculty, University of IL, Urbana where he teaches and works with his students on noninvasive objective diagnostic testing of cochlear and middle ear function, based on acoustic reflectance (aka impedance) methods of the middle ear, auditory psychophysics, speech processing for hearing aid applications (noise reduction and multiband compression), speech and music coding (bit-rate reduction) and speech perception (models of loudness and masking) and hearing aid transducer modeling.
- Allen, J. B. Karl Kryter and the Evolution of the Articulation Index, Special Session on Karl Kryter, Acoustical Society of America, Pittsburgh, PA, May 18, 2016.
- Allen, J. B.; Jeng, P.; Robinson, S. Tech Update: Otostat 2: In-Situ Measurements Using Wai Forward Pressure Level Calibration, American Auditory Society, Scottsdale, AZ, Mar 2, 2016.
- Robinson, S.; Thompson, S.; Allen, J. B., Effects of Negative Middle Ear Pressure on Wideband Acoustic Immittance in Normal-Hearing Adults. Ear and Hearing 2016, 37, (4), 452-464.
- Robinson, S.; Jeng, P.; Allen, J. B. Forward-Pressure Level Calibration Improves Accuracy and Reliability of Pure-Tone Audiometry, Podium Presentation American Auditory Society, Scottsdale, AZ, Mar 3, 2016.
Poon, E.; Bandara, S. B.; Allen2, J. B.; Sadowski, R. N.; Schantz1, S. L., Developmental PCB Exposure Increases Susceptibility to Audiogenic Seizures in Adulthood. Neurotoxicology 2015, 46, 117-124, DOI:10.1016/j.neuro.2014.12.007.
- Allen, J. B. Cochlear Nonlinearities and Phoneme Recognition, Invited Plenary Presentation, Auditory Models Workshop, Oldenburg, Germany, 2015.
- Allen, J. B. Invited Podium Presentation, MARC-MANS 2015, Omaha, NE, July 23-25, 2015.
- Allen, J. B.; Marshall, L.; Miller, J. A. L.; Jeng, P. S. Two New Technologies: Forward Pressure Level Calibration & Medial-Olivocochlear Reflex, American Auditory Society, Scottsdale, AZ, Mar 5-72015.
- Boven, C.; Allen, J. B.; Shepard, R.; Wickesberg, R. Non-Parametric Temporal Probability Density Estimation for Auditory Nerve Fiber Responses, Association for Research in Otolaryongology, Baltimore, MD, Feb 21-311, 2015.
- Johnson, C.; Kubalanza, M.; Allen, J. B. Speech Perception and Reading Disabilities in Individual Children, American Speech Hearing Association, Denver CO.
- Kim, N.; Allen, J. B. The Motional Impedance as a Unique Characteristic of the Anti-Reciprocal System, 2015.
- Lu, J. B.; Johnson, C.; Allen, J. B. The Relation between Phonetic Awareness and Reading Ability, Aging and Speech, UI, Bloomington, IN, Oct 11-15, 2015.
- Robinson, S.; Thompson, S.; Allen, J. B. Effects of Static Negative Middle-Ear Pressure on Wideband Acoustic Immittance, Invited 7th International Symposium on Middle Ear Mechanics (MEMRO), Aalborg, Denmark, 2015.
- Robinson, S.; Thompson, S.; Allen, J. B. Effects of Static Negative Middle-Ear Pressure on Wideband Acoustic Immittance, Podium Presentation American Auditory Society, Scottsdale, AZ, 2015.
Toscano, J. C.; Allen, J. B., Across- and within-Consonant Errors for Isolated Syllables in Noise. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research 2014, 57, (6), 2293-2307,DOI:10.1044/2014_Jslhr-H-13-0244.
Kim, N.; Allen, J. B., Two-Port Network Analysis and Modeling of a Balanced Armature Receiver. Hearing Research 2013, 301, 156-167, DOI: 10.1016/j.heares.2013.02.007.
Nguyen, C. T.; Robinson, S. R.; Jung, W.; Novak, M. A.; Boppart, S. A.; Allen, J. B., Investigation of Bacterial Biofilm in the Human Middle Ear Using Optical Coherence Tomography and Acoustic Measurements. Hearing Research 2013, 301, 193-200, DOI: 10.1016/j.heares.2013.04.001.
Reuven, M. L.; Neely, S. T.; Kopun, J. G.; Rasetshwane, D. M.; Allen, J. B.; Tan, H. Y.; Gorga, M. P., Effect of Calibration Method on Distortion-Product Otoacoustic Emission Measurements at and around 4 khz. Ear and Hearing 2013, 34, (6), 779-788.
Robinson, S. R.; Nguyen, C. T.; Allen, J. B., Characterizing the Ear Canal Acoustic Impedance and Reflectance by Pole-Zero Fitting. Hearing Research 2013, 301, 168-182, DOI: 10.1016/j.heares.2013.03.004.
Scheidiger, C.; Allen, J. B. Effects of NAL-R on Consonant-Vowel Perception, ISAAR-13, Nyborg, Denmark, August 28-30, 2013.
Trevino, A. C.; Allen, J. B. Systematic Groupings in Hearing Impaired Consonant Perception, ISAAR-13, Nyborg, Denmark.
Trevino, A.; Allen, J. B., Within-Consonant Perceptual Differences in the Hearing Impaired Ear. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2013, 134, (1), 607-617, DOI: 10.1121/1.4807474.
Trevino, A.; Allen, J. B., Individual Variability of Hearing Impaired Consonant Perception, In Seminars in Hearing. Gaalster, J., Ed. 2013.
Kapoor, A.; Allen, J. B., Perceptual Effects of Plosive Feature Modification. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2012, 131, (1), 478-491.
Rasetshwane, D. M.; Neely, S. T.; Allen, J. B.; Shera, C. A., Reflectance of Acoustic Horns and Solution of the Inverse Problem. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2012, 131, (3), 1863-1873.
Singh, R.; Allen, J. B., The Influence of Stop Consonants' Perceptual Features on the Articulation Index Model. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2012, 131, (4), 3051-3068.
Yoon, Y. S.; Allen, J. B.; Gooler, D. M., Relationship between Consonant Recognition in Noise and Hearing Threshold. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research 2012, 55, (2), 460-473.
Li, F. P.; Trevino, A.; Menon, A.; Allen, J. B., A Psychoacoustic Method for Studying the Necessary and Sufficient Perceptual Cues of American English Fricative Consonants in Noise. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2012, 132, (4), 2663-2675.
Menon, A.; Li, F.; Allen, J. B., A psychoacoustic method to find the perceptual cues of stop consonants in natural speech. Journal of Acoustical Society of America 2010, 127, (4), 2599-2610.
Trevino, A.; Coleman, T. P.; Allen, J., A dynamical point process model of auditory nerve spiking in response to complex sounds. Journal of Computational Neuroscience 2010, 29, (1-2), 193-201.
Withnell, R. H.; Jeng, P. S.; Waldvogel, K.; Morgenstein, K.; Allen, J. B., An in-situ calibration for hearing thresholds. Journal of Acoustical Society of America 2009, 125, (3), 1605-1611.
Phatak, S. A.; Yoon, Y. S.; Gooler, D. M.; Allen, J. B., Consonant recognition loss in hearing impaired listeners. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2009, 126, (5), 2683-2694.
Allen, J.; Li, F., Speech perception and cochlear signal processing. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 2009, 26, (4), 73-77.
Allen, J. B.; Regnier, M.; Phatak, S.; Li, F., Nonlinear cochlear signal processing and phoneme perception, Proceedings of the 10th Mechanics of Hearing Workshop, Singapore, 2009; Cooper, N. P.; Kemp, D. T., Eds. World Scientific Publishing Co.; pp 93-105.
Li, F.; Allen, J. B., Additivity law of frequency integration for consonant identification in white noise. Journal of Acoustical Society of America 2009, 126, (1), 347-53.
Neely, S.; Allen, J. B., Retrograde waves in the cochlea, Proceedings of the 10th Mechanics of Hearing Workshop, Singapore, 2009; Cooper, N. P.; Kemp, D. T., Eds. World Scientific Publishing Co.; pp 62-67.
Phatak, S.; Lovitt, A.; Allen, J. B., Consonant confusions in white noise. Journal of Acoustical Society of America 2008, 124, (2), 1220-33.
Regnier, M. S.; Allen, J. B., A method to identify noise-robust perceptual features: application for consonant /t/. Journal of Acoustical Society of America 2008, 123, (5), 2801-2814.
Allen, J. B., Nonlinear cochlear signal processing and masking in speech perception. In Handbook on speech processing and speech communication, Benesty, J.; Sondhi, M., Eds. Springer: Heidelberg, Germany, 2008; pp 1-36.
Lobdell, B. E.; Allen, J. B. A model of the VU (volume-unit) meter, with speech applications. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2007, 121, (1), 279-285.
Phatak, S. A.; Allen, J. B. Consonant and vowel confusions in speech-weighted noise. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2007, 121, (4), 2312-2326.
Allen, J. B.; Chan, W. Y.; Voran, S., Perceptual models for speech, audio and music processing. Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing 2007, Dec, 1-2.
Parenta, P.; Allen, J. B., Wave model of the cat tympanic membrane. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2007, 122, (2), 918-931.
The Communications Office maintains the information included in Beckman Institute's online directory listings. In order to update your directory listing, please submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a short bio including information on your educational background and your field
- any honors and awards you may have received
- a description of your research (approximately 200-400 words)
- a list of recent representative publications
- a photo of yourself (you can submit one or we can take one for you)