From the generosity of Arnold and Mabel Beckman to the foresight of University of Illinois thinkers such as Ted Brown, Bill Greenough, Karl Hess, and others, the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology has developed advances in research areas spanning neuroscience, materials science, physics, bioengineering, robotics, cognitive science, and more.
2014 marked the 25th anniversary of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology. On October 10, former Beckman Postdoctoral Fellows presented their research in a daylong symposium. Former Beckman Institute directors and University of Illinois administrators joined the current University and Beckman administration in celebrating 25 years of interdisciplinary research.
25th Anniversary Symposium Videos
Former directors and University of Illinois officials give their personal recollections of the Beckman Institute's founding and twenty-five years of interdisciplinary research.
- Beckman Institute Director Art Kramer
- Chancellor Phyllis Wise
- Provost Ilesanmi Adesida
- Vice Chancellor for Research Peter Schiffer
- President Emeritus Stan Ikenberry
- Chancellor Emeritus Mort Weir
- Founding Director Theodore Brown
- Former Director Jiri Jonas
- Former Director Pierre Wiltzius
- Former Interim Director Tamer Basar
These opening remarks were presented at the 25th Anniversary Symposium at the Beckman Institute on October 10, 2014.
Beckman Institute 25th Anniversary Slideshow
Over the past 25 years, researchers at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois have made advances in neuroscience, materials science, physics, bioengineering, robotics, cognitive science, and many other areas of science and engineering.
This slide show presents a few of the historic milestones of the Beckman Institute and some of its recent innovators; which are all highlighted in the new book, "The Beckman Institute at Illinois: A Quarter Century of Building Bridges."
25th Anniversary Symposium Schedule
Friday, October 10, Beckman Institute Auditorium
9:00 - 10:15 am: Opening Remarks
Introduction by Beckman Institute Director Art Kramer
- University of Illinois Chancellor Phyllis Wise
- University of Illinois Provost Ilesanmi Adesida
- University of Illinois Vice Chancellor for Research Peter Schiffer
- University of Illinois President Emeritus Stan Ikenberry
- University of Illinois Chancellor Emeritus Mort Weir
- Beckman Institute Founding Director Theodore Brown
- Former Beckman Director Jiri Jonas
- Former Beckman Director Pierre Wiltzius
- Former Interim Director Tamer Basar
10:15 am: Arnold Beckman tribute
10:45 am: Coffee Break, Room 1005
11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Session 1, Chao Ma, chair
- Slava V. Rotkin, Lehigh University, "Physics of QED Interfacial Heat Conductance in Nanocarbons"
- Mathews Jacob, University of Iowa, "Adaptive Representations for Highly Accelerated Dynamic MRI"
- Ilya Zharov, University of Utah, "Functional Mesoporous Materials with Controlled Ionic and Molecular Transport by Assembly of Colloidal Spheres"
12:00 - 1:00 pm: Lunch
1:00 - 2:30 pm: Session 2, Preethi Jyothi, chair
- Dale Barr, University of Glasgow, "Information Integration in Spoken Language Comprehension"
- Joe Toscano, Villanova University, "The Neural Organization of Speech Perception"
- Timothy Nokes-Malach, University of Pittsburgh, "Knowledge Transfer: New Approaches to Understanding a Controversial Phenomenon"
- Srinivas Akella, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, "Coordinating Multiple Moving Objects: From Robots to Microdroplets"
2:30 - 2:45 pm Coffee Break
2:45 - 4:15 pm: Session 3, Gillian Hamilton, chair
- Joel Voss, Northwestern University, "Enhancement of Cortical-Hippocampal Brain Networks and Memory Using Targeted Noninvasive Stimulation"
- Ming Hsu, University of California, Berkeley, "Biological Mechanisms underlying Social Decision-Making"
- Chandramallika Basak, University of Texas at Dallas, "Theory of Working Memory Adaptability (ToWMA)"
- Ilia Solov’yov, Faculty of Sciences at the University of Southern Denmark, "From Birds to Molecules and Beyond: The Dawn of Quantum Biology"
4:15 - 4:45 pm: Reflections and Concluding Remarks
- Gillian Hamilton, Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow
- Patty Jones, associate director for research, Beckman Institute
- Preethi Jyothi, Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow
- Chao Ma, Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow
- Maeve Reilly, director of communications, Beckman Institute
- Abhishek Singharoy, Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow